Author Topic: Acocks Green Memories  (Read 38756 times)

peterboustead

Re: Acocks Green Memories
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
Used to play football on the green off Olton Boulevard opposite Botteville rd how times hve changed, must have lost a dozen footballs under the number  31bus about early seventies.

hansmart

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2014, 10:25:38 AM »
I wonder if anybody can help.  Does anybody remember Lillington's the furniture shop? And if so any memories? It was in between the Swan and the Village. Also, was there a shop called Hanson's next door to it at any stage?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »
Hi Hansmart

Welcome to the forum, Here is a photo of the part of Yardley Rd where the two shops were located, which looks to be mid sixties. Lilingtons shop was at number 150 and J M & R C Hampson Drapers were at number 148. In this photo that would be next door to the hairdresser's going toward the left of the photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

hansmart

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »
Thanks for that.  Les Lillington was my father in law and had the shop for many years until either 86 or 87 , I will have to check on that. I went to the shop many times as I met my wife in 1975.

GordonW

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »
Referring back to page 2 and the photo of 'Acocks Green Village', the shop next to the post office....George the Grocer, I believe belonged to George Mason who at the time played for Coventry City FC. His two sons, John and Peter played football for Acocks Green Juniors in the early 1950s

Also remember further up the Warwick Road, about 2-300 yards and where the Co op supermarket used to be, there was a large, old building..... a doctors surgery (Dr. Dane I think) in large grounds where there were ducks and geese. I used to walk down the Warwick Rd to Acocks Green Juniors.

Gordon

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy