Author Topic: Overseas Brummies  (Read 3816 times)

Rupert

Re: Overseas Brummies
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 05:30:47 AM »
Hi. Graham,
It's something that you take for granted and don't think about much but the water in Birmingham is better than anywhere else I have been. From the Elan Valley remember?
Rupert.

john2000

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 10:00:21 AM »
Hi Rupert/Graham,  As you say Rupert, the water in B/ham was best in the world,
since I left B/ham, I've seen many places and drank a lot of water. even had deli-belly, the village where I live here in Holland has great water, straight out of the ground, I was in Benfleet some time back, ( thats in the south of England near Southend on sea,) the water there is so full of chemicals, I even went to the co-op to buy bottled water, it was the worst water I've ever had, even in Africa the water was drinkable, .
yes, there was some good things in B/ham and we never knew it only when we left did we know what we had left behind, ( good and bad things ).
catch you all later,........John   8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Graham

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 08:15:51 PM »
Hi Rupert, John & all,

Yes I had forgotten about that, the water supply from the Elan Vally was very famous for it's purity. We had been told about it at school and I was soon up there to look at it, on my bike! I was only 13 and cycled from Brum to Wales and up the Elan Vally to look at the dam and water reservoir. There were some really steep hills around there that made me curse.

In my teens I must have cycled on every road in Wales. One summer holiday I cycled down to Chepstow, then followed the Welsh coast all the way round to Rhyl in North Wales, then back to Brum. Slept in ditches, on cliff tops, under bushes, lived on cups of tea and bacon sandwiches. Even made a detour at Aberystwyth up the Rheidol Vally just to take in the terrible climb at Devils Bridge. Then another detour around Anglesey to Hollyhead, a look and a paddle in the famous Dulas Bay, which is like a huge swimming pool. Took me 10 days to get all the way round!

Where I now live in Belgium the water is really good too. I have a summer home in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg on the river Süre. This is in a vally much like the one in Wales and has a massive dam in it too. This reservoir is also there for our drinking water and can compare equally, in quallity, to that of Brum. The water in the river that passes us is quite drinkable as it comes out of the dam some 10 miles upstream. It is in a big nature reserve, same as in Wales, and even has the same type of hill climbs that have made me curse in dubble Dutch!

Rupert

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »
Hi. Graham/John and others,
  We have just gone through an election in Canada and the Liberal party in power was defeated being replaced by the Conservatives. The main cause was corruption charges to do with an effort by the federal Liberals to placate separatist forces in French speaking Quebec by instituting sponsorship funding and generally showing the flag. It seemed to be harmless although it may have been viewed as paternalistic in hindsight. You would have thought that being part of a wonderful country like Canada would be super. Anyway it all went wrong and millions went missing. Hence we now have a Conservative federal government.
  That being said; the purpose of my submission is to talk about health care. In Canada we have a single supplier universal health care system that covers the whole country. When you need medical attention you use your Health card not your Credit card. This has always worked well for me personally although there are now complaints about waiting times, real or not so. The new Conservative party has always advocated the privatization of health care, their latest idea being a sort of two tier, partly for profit, system. Presumably people, who can afford to jump the queue, pay for services whilst the rest of us make do with what will be left of the present system. There are only so many doctors around at any one time so that if some move to the private system there will be fewer for the state system. At least that is one of the arguments.
  There are all kinds of charts comparing the economy of Canada’s system with others around the world. Some with European countries that would fit in Lake Ontario here, this is a big country and the people, cities and towns are spread out. It seems to me that distances alone would make it difficult to reach the economy of service of other smaller countries. Nobody compares our health care to the United States anymore. Their system is a horror story. Seniors in the States come up to Canada to buy their drugs. If you read all of the so called think tank deliberations from both sides and down the middle, as usual you will go round in circles until you disappear up your behind.
  For my own information I would be grateful to hear about your health systems and experiences. Denmark, Holland, Sweden, Australia, New Zeeland et al. And of course good old G.B.

Best wishes,
                    Rupert.

Graham

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 11:16:20 PM »
Hi Rupert,

I have had that reporter here all afternoon from "Homes Worldwide", they are doing a series on British expats. One of the things we talked about was the health service. I know that this is a disaster area in England & the States, but didn't know that it was going the same way in Canada.

It is my opinion, and that of many others, that here in Belgium we have the best health service in the world (France is also good). Here you have a national health service that is as good as, if not better, than private insurance in the UK.

For example, a few years ago I had some knee trouble. (To keep it short) I visited my GP on the Friday morning, had scanner, X-rays and echo on the afternoon, back to my GP on the Friday evening with three lots of photo's, saw a surgeon on the Monday morning, had keyhole operation on the Thursday and was back on my bike the Satuday! All on the national health and all done within a week!

Rupert, if you are really interested in these things from other countries, try taking a look at http://www.expatica.com you will find loads of info there.

john2000

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 08:16:56 AM »
Hi Rupert, sorry to hear Canada in going the way of the NHS( England) and the States, here in Holland its about the same as Belgium, they're on  the ball, I think here in Europe the system is not over loaded at the top end, ( managers and under managers, ) not like in the UK and other countries,what ever happened to the "Matron"whos word was law, ". years ago people from other countries used to go to the UK for their health problems, ( which was done for free ),.
I think it should be, you can only get out of the country, what you put in, you put nothing in, the you get nothing out, I remember they where coming over in boat loads to live off the state, ( I think they still do ?) and bleed the country dry, ...........but thats another story..
John 2000 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Mikey

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 03:55:41 AM »
Another overseas Brummie. Have been in New Zealand for 37 years, haven't been back to Brum since 1979. Do you reckon things have changed a bit over that time?
I am not young enough to know everything