Author Topic: schools and teachers in the 50s  (Read 22859 times)

Anne from Stirchley

Re: schools and teachers in the 50s
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »
God yes i remember Mr Lane. He seemed huge and terrified us when we were in the lower years. He would walk around at dinner time forceing kids to eat the stuff they hated. However when he was our teacher in our final year i found him fantastic. Yes he was a bit harder on the boys and yes Lubbuck was still headmaster.

Lubbock was a silly old [censored]. Do you remember when he would bring in windfall apples from his backyard for us to eat? He would put them in the playground and we'd fall on them like a swarm of locusts.

Laney was a sadist. He used to beat up Peter Salmon and Tony Marriott (who were in my class) something alarming. Peter Salmon had a kid brother who may have been in your class. Laney had a crush on one little girl in my class - Stella Howell. He almost crossed a line with his delight in this little girl. I hated Stella because she wore a different dress to school every day and I came from quite a poor family.

Jacqueline, I've PM'd you back.

Jacqueline

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »
Anne, I would not have got excited at Lubbucks apples as we had an apple tree in the back garden and i was stuffed with apple pies and crumbles thanks to nans cooking.
As for Laney that is a worry. Did teachers cross the line back then? >:(

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 12:38:14 AM »
Anne, I would not have got excited at Lubbucks apples as we had an apple tree in the back garden and i was stuffed with apple pies and crumbles thanks to nans cooking.

I don't think he crossed the line, but he was definitely infatuated with Stella. She was a conceited little squirt and I disliked her intensely. Laney always called me "dreamy" for staring off into space. That is, when he wasn't lobbing chalk erasers around the room!

Do you remember any other teachers? There was one funny old dear who always said "If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing well." Always remember the time she was laboring to teach me how to sew and she ended up sewing my tatty piece of embroidery to her own skirt. Daft old bat.

planetmalc

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 01:25:05 AM »

Unfortunately, Jacqueline, they probably did.

At my junior school, back in the early 50's, allegations were made by some final-year girls, against a teacher.     The school 'disappeared' him for the remainder of that school year.........and then, after the complainants had left, he was back again, but now had a completely different surname! (same bloke though).

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 01:35:34 AM »

Unfortunately, Jacqueline, they probably did.

At my junior school, back in the early 50's, allegations were made by some final-year girls, against a teacher.     The school 'disappeared' him for the remainder of that school year.........and then, after the complainants had left, he was back again, but now had a completely different surname! (same bloke though).

I went to Swanshurst Grammer, which was an all-girls high school later on. We had all-female teachers so no problem there. But I was amazed after I had left school to meet girls from other schools who had actually dated a teacher. I thought was that the darndest thing!

planetmalc

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 01:58:48 AM »
Well, that's one way of getting 10 out of 10!

The all-female thing brings problems of its own.      I went to a secondary modern school reunion in 2003, and all the girls were swapping stories about their P.E. teacher from 50 years before, because of the unusual amount of 'attention' she'd given some of them.   
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 02:17:43 AM »
I went to a secondary modern school reunion in 2003, and all the girls were swapping stories about their P.E. teacher from 50 years before, because of the unusual amount of 'attention' she'd given some of them.   

With hindsight I now realize our games mistress was gay. She spent an inordinate amount of time watching us shower, but we thought nothing of it at the time.

Jacqueline

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »
Anne, I remember a few teachers names from Stirchley. The teacher of the reception class was a Miss Marriott and was a lovely lady unlike the wicked witch Miss Wheel who took delight at slapping kids hands with a ruler and these were infants who simply got their spellings wrong.

Could the sewing teacher have been named Miss or Mrs Baldwin? I might have her mixed up with a dinner lady but the name rings a distant bell.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »
Anne, I remember a few teachers names from Stirchley. The teacher of the reception class was a Miss Marriott and was a lovely lady unlike the wicked witch Miss Wheel who took delight at slapping kids hands with a ruler and these were infants who simply got their spellings wrong.

Could the sewing teacher have been named Miss or Mrs Baldwin? I might have her mixed up with a dinner lady but the name rings a distant bell.

Jackie, don't remember the other names, but, yes, the sewing lady was Miss Baldwin. Definitely a Miss!

Did you like our school meals at Stirchley? I loved them and was fascinated by the dinner ladies with their huge steaming cauldrons of mashed spuds and gravy? I enjoyed my school meals tremendously. Even at Swanshurst Grammar, the food was excellent too.

Jacqueline

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 12:10:50 AM »
Cannot say i liked school meals. However i ate very little anyway and looked like a stick insect. Sadly as an adult i found a love for food and put on the pounds. I am not huge now but do not wear figure hugging clothes either. ;D

old brummie

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
I attended Tinkers Farm secondry modern in Northfield from 1955, it has unfortunatly been pulled down now but I have very fond memories of school days there, been surrounded by good friends. The headmaster at the time was Mr Butler and we had Mr Froggit, Mr Slim, Mr Sidebottom and Mr Perkins, known as Polly. I think no matter what is said these days about poor education in the past I had a good education which set me up for life and finished school at 15 well prepared to face adulthood.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy