Author Topic: Stockton Pies  (Read 10378 times)

Graham K

Stockton Pies
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »
Does anyone remember the Stockton pie shop by the Blues ground who have now, I beleive moved to Bordesley Green East Opposit Macdonalds?

dickulus

Re: Stockton Pies
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
I remember it well my nan lived in Greenway street and these were a treat. Possibly the best pies I have ever had mainly because I still remember them after 50 years. There was a barber shop around the corner from there and a little old lady made toffee apples in her front room. Anyway I digress Stocktons Rock.    Regards Richard

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
Hi Dickulus,

Welcome to the forum, Graham when did this pie shop close down and exactly where was it. I have no memory of it and I thought I knew the area reasonably well. Perhaps not being a football supporter has something to do with it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Graham K

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
phil
Sorry for the delay in me responding to anyone but my computer blew up,
   now you know who ate all the pies??

ladybird

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
Hello..Stockton's pie shop was at no. 8 Greenway Street, close to the Coventry Rd end.

Ladybird

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »
hi ladybird
               welcome to the forum Saturday in the greenway pub  you would see folk come out of the pie shop in to the pub so it was a point and a pie it was the best pie shop in smallheath and there breadpudding now that was a sight to be seen like a doorstop one of them and you was full O0 O0 ;D
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
Hello ladybird,

Welcome to the best forum in town.  We're a fairly laid back and disparate assortment that manages to enjoy itself and have a laugh.

Only a few still live in brum, some in the WM and most elsewhere, so wherever you are, you're at home here.

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »
Hi Ladybird

Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy your time on here.

I didn't know Greenway St all that well until much later when most of the housing had gone. I knew the two bothers that owned most of it when it was nearly all turned over to commercial use. They lived out in the Cotswolds so I used to collect the rents for them.

What an experience that was, most of the units were car bodgers you have never heard so many excuses why they couldn't pay the rent that month. Of course it didn't matter to me it wasn't my money.

I used to use the Wrexham occasionally with a mate of mine who opened a cafe across the road for a short while, but I think it only lasted for a couple of years. Not the best place to have a business in the 70's that end of the Coventry Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ladybird

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
Many thanks for the warm welcome...I left Greenway Street in 1962 following our marriage & by the way the reception was held upstairs in the Wrexham, I remember we paid 10/6d per head for the food..a lot of money to us in those days !!!

Ladybird.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:30:51 AM »
Hi ladylinda

Yes 10/6 was a tidy few bob in 1962, you could have bought 3 curries or had about 9 pints for that back then. I think I was earning £3.10/- a week around that time.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

brummie nick

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
Saturday in the greenway pub  you would see folk come out of the pie shop in to the pub

If you could see Stocktons shop, I think you must have been in the Oxford pub, not the Greenway.
regards Nick

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy