Author Topic: Stockton Pies  (Read 10375 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Stockton Pies
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 09:12:24 PM »
hi nick all i can tell you is i used to come out of the home made pie shop cross the road and in to the greenway pub on the corner of cov road and greenway street i think it was called greenway street just a cross the cov road from the bus garage the home made pie shop may not have been stocktons but that was the only home baked shop i know
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

brummie nick

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:35:29 PM »
That would have been the Oxford pub on the corner of Greenway St and Coventry Rd.
the Greenway pub was on the Coventry Rd Cattle Rd junction. it had an horse trough outside

Nick

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
the Greenway pub was on the Coventry Rd Cattle Rd junction. it had an horse trough outside

yes your right nick i got the name of the road wrong  but the pie shop that i new was just across the road from the pub in cattle road  if you was facing cattleroad looking at  the greenway on your right the pie shop was on the left hand side i had it in my head that the shop was stockton pies but that was the only home made pie shop i new  so if i got the name wrong of the shop sorry it was over 50 years ago

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 09:13:13 AM »
Right lets try to settle this, according to my Kelly's Trade directory's The Greenway arms was at the junction of Cattell Rd and Coventry Rd. The Oxford was on the corner of Greenway St.

Stockton Cook Shop was at 8 Greenway St in the 50's owned by a Mrs Elizabeth Stockton and in the 60's it was described as D.J.Stockton Baker.

I did hear that the Small Heath Tavern on the corner of Bowling Green Rd (known locally as the Wrexham) changed it's name to the Greenway shorltly before it closed in the 80's, but I have no official confirmation of that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

brummie nick

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
[/size][/font]
Right lets try to settle this, according to my Kelly's Trade directory's The Greenway arms was at the junction of Cattell Rd and Coventry Rd. The Oxford was on the corner of Greenway St.

Stockton Cook Shop was at 8 Greenway St in the 50's owned by a Mrs Elizabeth Stockton and in the 60's it was described as D.J.Stockton Baker.

[/size][/font]

That's correct, it was still DJ Stockton in the 1969 Kellys,
I don't ever remember the Wrexham being called the Greenway,but memory does play 'funny tricks' with you as you get older.  O0

[/size]
Nick [/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
I've been asking a few questions concerning the Greenway, my mate Alf used to own a café opposite the Wrexham, and I used to have an occasional drink in there with him. He knew the landlord very well, from what I can make out When the Greenway closed down the Oxford took over the name. When that in its turn closed down the name was then taken over by the Wrexham for a short while before it closed.

I think I may have a photo of the Wrexham after it changed its name to the Greenway somewhere but it must be unfiled as yet, because if I enter Greenway in the search box all I get is the old pub. I'll have to search all my unfiled photos one by one. It may take a while.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jayne

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »
hi graham, i used 2 live in cattle road as a small child and remeber going 2 a pie shop with my mom, not sure if it was the one u r talking about but we used 2 go up an entry and the pies were always steaming hot and in brown paper bag,

dickulus

Re: The Oxford Pub
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
My Nan Florence "Liz" Taylor worked at the Oxford probably early to late 50s. She lived in Ladybird Terrace up an entry off Greenway Street and getting back to the Stocktons Pies does anyone still make them? Morrissons almost come close!
We lived in Arthur Street until 1962/3 and a trip to see Nan and then our Aunties in Nechells was a nice round trip on a Saturday, on foot, and as they had a bath it made it a special treat !!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 06:01:17 PM »
what was the name of this pub because just across the road was the home made pie shop has we called it

ladybird

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »
Hello Dickulus,
I remember Mrs Taylor very well ( & Olive & Bunny of course) as we lived opposite them for many years.
Ladybird.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
hi phil your the pub man you know the names of the old pubs in brum the photo iv put up was on the corner I'm sure it was called the greenway  just across the road to the left of the pub was a home made pie shop come on phil put my mind at rest  what was the pub called and what was the name of the pie shop ?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy