Author Topic: Stockton Pies  (Read 10406 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Stockton Pies
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
Roy

The pub names on that section of Coventry Rd were a puzzle in itself. The name of the pub on the junction of Coventry Rd and Cattell Rd was The Greenway Arms. The pub on the corner of Greenway St was the Oxford Arms. The pub on the corner of Bowling Green Rd was the Small Heath Tavern which was known as the Wrexham to the locals but it later changed it's name to the Greenway after the original closed.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
thanks phil  my wife said it was called the greenway  now I need to find out what that home made pie shop was called just across the road in Cattell Rd 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
Roy

I must confess I am completely ignorant about these Stockton Pies and I had never even saw them mentioned before seeing them talked about on here a few years back. All I can tell you is what I read in the trade directory's. Kelly's Trade Directory  tells me that Stockton Pies listed as Mrs Elizabeth Stockton Cookshop was at 8 Greenway Street which in the 60's became D J Stockton Baker and remained so until at least when the last edition of Kelly's was published in 1974.

I can find no listing of a pie shop on Cattell Rd at all, perhaps one of the many Cafes on that side of Cattell road sold the pies, or perhaps Stockton Pies moved there after Greenway St was demolished.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
hi phil
          the only thing I can remember about this pie shop has we called it all the pies and cake was made on the premises  I used to love the meat and spud  pies and the stake and kidney pies  now this would be in the late 60s

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
Roy

I have looked up the years 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967/68, 1969/70. I have looked under street listings and found nothing so I looked under names listing and the only Stockton to be found is at 8 Greenway Street. I did find another Stockton listed at Dollman Street the one year but they were press workers.

Roy as I said there were many dining rooms and cafes  on Cattell Rd and one chippy and I checked both sides of the road from Coventry Rd up to Bordesley Green but nothing in the name of Stockton and no bakers or pie shop.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

colin walker

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »
Phil there was a café at the bottom of cattel road about 15 yrds up from the greenway on the opposite side of the road . when we were kids we lived at 34 cattel road and we would walk down to the café with our casserole dish and they would fill it with pie mix and put mash on top . this was in 1962/3

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »
Colin

Thanks for that of you can look at this section of OS map and tell me roughly the number of the shop I might be able to find the name of the shop.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 09:56:28 PM »
hi phil iv put a red mark where I think it was

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2016, 10:31:02 PM »
Roy

Number 8 isn't listed as anything, but next door at number 9 was listed as J Lengue Dining Rooms that sounds like a good bet.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »
hi phil thank you for your time and trouble finding out for me you have put my mind at rest thanks 

colin walker

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
Hi Phil  going down the hill from my house walking past the old blues entrance . The cafe was about ten house down . I remember if you stood at the door of the cafe you would be looking at the end of the pub heading uphill on the opposite side of cat tell road.

I also remember when we went to the pie shop we would come out our house walk down the hill 20 yards and across the road was a walk through which cut through to the pie shop. I think I mentioned before my mom  had known the shop owners and when they left they gave her 2 of the demo display glasses. The looked full of water but we're actually filled with glass to look like water.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy