Author Topic: Stockton Pies  (Read 10380 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Stockton Pies
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »
Colin

So number 9 as Roy suggested looks about right then?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »
   hi colin walker

well for me it was a long time ago and the mind can play tricks I know it  does with me I do get things mixed up times dates places  now this time it was not just me that was on about the pie shop it was my wife because like me she loved the meat and spud pies and when her and her mate had done there shopping on the cov road she would call in the pie shop and get a pie or so to take home for dinner  now she told me that the price of the pies was one shilling and three pence

but thanks both for your input
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

colin walker

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
Roy they did sell the meat and potato pies in the cafe  I assume they were made on site as well because as I said we would go there on Wednesday for the casserole deal . But we were poor so could not afford a pie each . If I remember we also would take the same casserole dish out to the ice cream man and he would fill  it . This continued to be the case when we moved to dolman street as well.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »
ok but what seems to have come out of this is the fact it was not a Stockton Pies  but having said that it may have been Stockton Pies  sold on to this shop and Stockton Pies  might have used it has an out let for there pies
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
Roy

It's what I have been saying all along, obviously the premises you bought your pies from was an outlet for the premises in Greenway Street where they were made. If the pies were as good as what people have said they were why wouldn't local café want to sell them?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »
Roy

I don't know if this is the same place but why shouldn't it be, it's only up the road a couple of miles in Bordesley Green.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 02:45:03 PM »
I don't know if this is the same place but why shouldn't it be, it's only up the road a couple of miles in Bordesley Green.

Is that a modern image, 'cos all this pie talk has left me starving! ;D
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »
PM

It's off Google so it's pretty late image, I would imagine that you could nick up and get a pie now.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ealex40

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »
The Pie shop was located in Greenway Street and was not far from the passageway between the back to back houses, that led to Cattell Road and the entrance to St Andrews.

The shop was run for many years by Donald Stockton and his mother and everything was baked on the premises. I don't know what became of the shop once the buildings were demolished but I understand that a  D J Stockton passed away in 1984, aged 47 and that matches the initials of the person described in an earlier posting on this subject.

patb

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2016, 05:20:59 PM »
Stockton's pies did locate to Bordesley Green but I believe it is closed now, when I was growing up I live a few doors away from the shop in Greenway st, Donalds grandmother used to own the shop before them & you could see her making the pies out the back, we always had one of the tin pie plates in the cupboard you would pay a deposit on the plate & take it back when you purchased another pie or bread pudding..yummy.

Pat

Corby

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
Stockton's pies did locate to Bordesley Green but I believe it is closed now, when I was growing up I live a few doors away from the shop in Greenway st, Donalds grandmother used to own the shop before them & you could see her making the pies out the back, we always had one of the tin pie plates in the cupboard you would pay a deposit on the plate & take it back when you purchased another pie or bread pudding..yummy.

Pat

I remember Stocktons in Greeway Street, my dad used to take me there when I was a small being. I remember them moving to the Broadway in the early eighties, I think. Their pies were lovely.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy