Author Topic: Blackroot Pool Sutton Park  (Read 35098 times)

Mogmeister

Re: Blackroot Pool Sutton Park
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:13:59 PM »
Hi Vauxonion
Thank you for the comment , i was beginning to think i had imagined swimming in Blackroot pool to the raft .

Dave.

planetmalc

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
I remember swimming out to the raft at Keepers Pool  -  a bit nippy!     Never went in the lido, though.

Don't remember the Crytal Palace, but can recall the steam railway and its abandoned lines that were there for years afterwards.     

Did they have something called 'The Snake Train' there (or was it at Drayton Manor)?      The 'engine' was a bit like a tractor, and it pulled a rake of about 10 open trucks full of punters along a course that threaded its way around the trees, at some speed.

Judging by some of the stuff in those Rules and Regulations (reply #7), they didn't mess about in those days: 'All strange dogs found in the Park will be destroyed'!!   :o     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

baznkazthebrummies

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »
i can recall the snake train at drayton manor..... always had bruised ribs after been on it and as i recall there was no bars to hold you in like the rides of today. so surprised no one ever fell of it or maybe they did and i just havent heard about it
COMMON SENSE IS NOT THAT COMMON

glennys

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
Hi,
I've just joined and find this thread really interesting. My rellies in the early 1900's to about 1940 worked and advertised Refreshment rooms at Hollyhurst in Sutton Park and Blackroot Pool: 40 pleasure boats, excellent fishing, schools catered for, tents for hire. Would anyone know anything about the place, when it was still working or have any photos of it? Thanks.
Glennys

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Glennys
hi glennys
first let me welcome you to the forum sit back have a coffee and enjoy

i think our phil might be able to help you out on this one if not some one will but the members will do there best  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »
Hi Glennys

Welcome to you, I'm afraid I don't know a lot about Blackroot Pool except that it is the venue for the Annual Christmas Day Swim. This tradition has been kept up since the 1800's and was started by a local swimming club, but now it's a free for all for anybody who turns up and who isn't afraid of the cold.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mogmeister

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Phil .
The second of the two pics you have put up , have you a rough idea of the year

Mog.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
Mog

Sorry mate there is no date with the photo, but I would hazard a guess pre WW1 about 1910.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mogmeister

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »
Thanks Phil , it looks so serene , a different world .

Mog.

glennys

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »
Thanks for all that lads, but I'm sure one day I'll get that photo of the white cottage and the pool!!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »
Glennys

Sorry, although I have been able to come up with some more postcard views of Blackroot Pool, no sign of a cottage yet.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy