Author Topic: Blackroot Pool Sutton Park  (Read 35101 times)

Moggy200

Blackroot Pool Sutton Park
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
Hi can anyone help me , just a few years ago when i was a bit younger , the early to mid 1960's , you were allowed to swim in this pool , and in the middle was a raft , on a hot summers day this was fantastic , a real good day out , i was there today 09/07/2010 , and of course the raft has gone now , but a lot of memories.

Can anyone remember this , and has anyone any photos.

Dave.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Blackroot Pool Sutton Park
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
Hi Moggy

Welcome to our forum, I think it may have been Keepers Pool you are looking for. I'm not sure they allowed swimming in any of the other lakes. Except for a bit of paddling in the brook by the Town Gate.

Here are some photos of the Lido at Keepers Pool. I think it closed down in the late 70's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Moggy200

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
Hi Phil ,
Thanks for the info  a lot of memories there.

Dave.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »
Hi Dave

Glad to be of service, if you remember the lido then you might remember this as well.

Did you live in Sutton Coldfield or nearby?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Moggy200

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
Hi Phil
I used to live in Erdingtom , just by the Yenton , im now in Great Barr.The last picture that you sent , i dont remember that one.But thank you for the ones that you have sent , i will be forwarding on them onto my brother is Australia.

Dave.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:17 PM »
Dave

So you are not old enough to remember the fair and the Crystal Palace. The were just the other side of the brook when you entered the park by the town gate.

I'm giving my age away here, I'd best shut up. If you want any other photo, just ask.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pipmk

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:20:44 AM »
 :) I remember Pat Collins Fair, the Crystal Palace, my parents danced there when they were courting pre war, and also the miniature railway that ran from the fair towards Windley and back. We still have some knives I won on the rifle range.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 11:30:52 AM »
Hi pipmk

Welcome to the forum, I remember the fair well and I can just about remember the miniature railway. I think that was one of the first things to go after the crystal palace. I was one of the Great Brummie unwashed army who invaded Sutton Park every weekend and Bank Holiday and paid our entrance fee at the gate.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pipmk

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:10:43 AM »
 ;) Thanks for that Phil47, If the 47 is a clue then we are of an age? I recall when I was about 14 arranging to met 3 different girlfriends at the same time at the fair on Sunday afternoon. As they say in the Harp advert,"time for a quick exit". What a wonderfully scruffy place the fair was, full of tough looking fair workers especially on the bumper cars who would jump on the back of the cars to chat up pretty well any female who had a pulse. There was a film. "That'll be the day " with Ringo and David Essex which was  an accurate and funny account of life at a fair.
Sunny  Sunday afternoons all listening to Alan Freeman  and the Top 40 on the grass by Keepers Pool,Turning over my first car and welding up the drivers door as it slid on its side going too fast into a corner. That took some explaining when I got home,especially as I only had a provisional licence.
Lost my cherry in the Park and not bring believed  at school did a repeat performance the next evening with a witness hidden in a bush, 14 year old males can be pretty revolting.

Earlier as a small child,fishing for "tiddlers" and crayfish in the stream on the Meadow Platt. Riding my bike through the main entrance time after time showing my residents pass as 100s queued to pay during the Jamboree in '57, later convincing 2 gullible girls from Billston that my Dad owned the Park, ( mind you with the benefit of hindsight,suspect girls rarely believed the bulls++t we gave them, they just pretended they did to flatter our teenage egos)

I wouldn't swop our teenage years for that of kids today,we had a ball almost without pressure not like now. .

vauxonion

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Moggy as the other members have said Keepers was the swimming pool but at one time swimming was allowed in Blackroot on the dam side the used to be a raft which was about 30yards from the dam wall it used to be a Chrismas tradition to swim on Christmas Day in Blackroot and sometimes this meant breaking the ice. Tough lot those Sutton guys. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 09:25:17 AM »
Hi Pipmk

It seems we have a couple of similarities other than being born in 1947. I was always called pip right up until my mid 20's, most of my mates from that time still call me that now.

I also had very many romantic interludes in Sutton Park in my teens. I remember by then most of the fair had gone, it didn't stop hoards of people making their way there weekends.

The choice on a Sunday was either Sutton Park or the Lickey Hills during the day and a cinema on the night if you didn't click during the day.

I have to say that I agree with you that the kids today don't know they are born. All that they want is technology. I once said to my son when he was 15 and moaning about being bored during the school holidays "why don't you get your bike and take a ride to Sutton park or the Lickey's. He just looked at me and said "Why would I want to do that".

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy