Author Topic: Curry up the Rock  (Read 6996 times)

Biffo

Curry up the Rock
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
Fond memories of the Curry houses or Sweet Centres as they were called in the early eighties on the Alum Rock Rd,first on the right going up just past the Tilt Hammer was the Dream House (my personal Favourite) then the Nawab also on the right.
Then on the left the Paris (never liked it) then last but by no means least The Khyber Pass,run by Mr Khan,Curry sauce and 3 chapatti's for a £1 O0
On a couple of occasions me and my mate Tony Knowles RIP,had 3 in a day one before the afternoon session one after,bit of a kip out again and one before bed,greedy [censored]. ;D

All the best Tony

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Curry up the Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »
Hi Biffo

I suppose you must be a little younger than myself, when I last walked or drove up Alum Rock Rd for any other purpose than just passing through or working local. There was not one curry house and as far as I can remember not one Asian shop.

It was not until 1961 or 62 that I first tasted the delights of a curry in Balsall Heath.

When I think of Alum Rock it brings to mind scenes likes these photos. Also of the Rock Cinema, I can remember the last film I ever saw there (The Return of the Magnificent Seven) not that I saw much of it as I was with a young lady.

I also remember some years earlier shopping with my mother at the first supermarket in the area of Nechells, Saltley & Alum Rock. It was on the corner of George Arthur Rd & Alum Rock Rd. We used to get there by bus from Nechells. The weeks shopping was then ferried in paper carrier bags back home by bus. It was great unless it rained. Have you seen what happens to fully laden paper bags in the rain?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

shell

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »
just came across this topic. I remember the Dream house very well we used to call it the muker but i dont know why? maybe because you got messy eating without knives and forks.

Wonderful pakora and samosas

Shell :)

Steve

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
Phil. The supermarket you mentioned, wasn't it one of the first Tesco's? My girlfriend at the time worked there for 2 weeks as a checkout girl, she got fired for getting the change wrong too often.
 Took my Mom there in a pal's van, just after it opened. There was so much on special offers that Mom piled up a trolley. We just lifted the whole thing into the van, and went home to Winslow Avenue, Ward End. My pal dropped the trolley off on his way home.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

gibson

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »
Steve, the first small supermarket, was as Phil stated on the corner of George Arthur Road, and Alum Rock Road, I remember going in there just after it opened, it was owned by a pakistan man, and the smell of curry and spices was so strong, as we were not used to such smells in those days, but it was great simply going around the store, and choosing what you want, then the supermarket that I believe you took your mom to opened further down, almost at the Gate, that was large enough to take a trolley around, in fact I believe its still trading to this day, you could drive your car onto the car park from Alum Rock Road, and come out in Adderley Road, then they built the new houses in Adderley Road, so it meant the customers had to go in, and exit the same entrance, straight onto the busy main road  :o

vauxonion

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Steve, the first small supermarket, was as Phil stated on the corner of George Arthur Road, and Alum Rock Road, I remember going in there just after it opened, it was owned by a pakistan man, and the smell of curry and spices was so strong, as we were not used to such smells in those days, but it was great simply going around the store, and choosing what you want, then the supermarket that I believe you took your mom to opened further down, almost at the Gate, that was large enough to take a trolley around, in fact I believe its still trading to this day, you could drive your car onto the car park from Alum Rock Road, and come out in Adderley Road, then they built the new houses in Adderley Road, so it meant the customers had to go in, and exit the same entrance, straight onto the busy main road  :o
Quick Save jumps to mind. Dek

Steve

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
Gibson, The supermarket to which I refer was definitely on the corner of George Arthur Rd. Could it be that the Pakistani sold out to Kwik Save, Tesco or whoever?
 I think it would have been in '64 - '66 time.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

gibson

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »
Steve, you are probably right, perhaps the pakistani did sell out to Tesco, I wouldnt know, because as soon as the big supermarket opened on the same side of the road, near the gate, I shopped in there, I googled Alum Rock Road, the small supermarket that was on the corner of George Arthur road, has had an extention added, and is no longer a food store, but the one near the gate is still trading under the name of Wayco, and I guess for safety reasons, you enter and exit Wayco, from Adderley Road.

Biffo

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 11:11:13 AM »
just came across this topic. I remember the Dream house very well we used to call it the muker but i dont know why? maybe because you got messy eating without knives and forks.

Wonderful pakora and samosas

Shell :)

Hi Shell,
           Yes we called it going for a muker,where did that come from?

Tony.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »
There are several definitions of the word Mucker. A mate, A person who cleans stables, A cheater or a low vulgar person.

The old Bull Ring Cinema in Park Street was known as the "Mucker" when it was a music hall.

I've never heard of a curry house being called the "Mucker", but there again I ate all my curries down Balsall Heath and occasionally in town.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Daisy1

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
Before there was a supermarket on the corner of George Arthur Rd/Alum Rock Road, it was a corner stores owned by Mr & Mrs Bagley, they had two children, Cynthia and Ernie, we are still in touch with Ernie.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy