Author Topic: Curry up the Rock  (Read 7025 times)

Mother_Goose

Re: Curry up the Rock
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:34:52 PM »
At the back end of the 70's I lived in a flat over a shop on Alum Rock and my sister lived next door - over another flat. Our Saturdays were something like - get the big shopping trolley bag - no car then! walk down the hill to Tesco's for the basics, which was on the corner of GA street and next to KwikSave. Sometimes we might go in there. Then work our way back up the hill, stopping at Sheldon's the butchers, maybe looking in Margarets - the clothes shop, maybe looking in Tesco's Home and Wear(Delamere) half way up. Then the Co-op Greengrocers, maybe the Co-op hardware store and maybe the Co-op itself before crossing the road to Braggs(now Greggs) for a welcome cup of tea and a Choux Cream Cake. Then the co-op off-licence if we were staying in that night. Otherwise, The Country Girl Pub. Shopping took best part of the day then when we lived on the Rock.

Steve

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
Hi Goose, We lived in Denbigh St the Mrs & I in those days and spent many an evening in the 'Girl'.
 Myself and some pals ran the Taverners CB Club there for a while, used to put some entertainment on at weekends.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Sframzan

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 02:30:03 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone have any pictures of the Paris restaurant that was on alum rock road? My grandfather owned it and he passed away of Boxing Day. I would love to have some images of it as this is what he was known for. Any images would be greatly appreciated to honour his memory. Thank you 😊

Sunny villa

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 07:00:34 PM »
Haha fond memories of the Khyber in the early 80s it was like a place of truce for the lads from B6 and our mates in Small Heath ...all out of respect for Mr Khan

The Modern was another at the top of the hill with the Paris opposite and the well known Cafe we spent many a skint Sunday trying to wire the pinball machines for a cash out ...

Or hustling pool with the asian lads ...

Naseby School Disco .the Rosary Club and the Country Girl ...  And shimming up to the posh kids at St Peters ...

And the Greek place the Aphrodite's down from the Khyber ...opposite the cinema .used to charge corkage for bringing your own booze .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy