Author Topic: Salford Bridge  (Read 16755 times)

Boz

Re: Salford Bridge
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »
Hi Tom

That is roughly where I placed it on the map that I posted, it's good to have confirmation as I didn't know the area that well before Spaghetti Junction changed the area for good. Although here are another couple of photos from just before it was built.

Phil, what year was the bottom picture taken?

I remember the junction although it looks like the trams had finished when the photo was taken. I think there used to be tram stops in the middle of the road coming from the direction of Birmingham before they divided into Tyburn Road, Gravelly Hill and Slade Road.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »
Hi Boz

As the photo is tagged a few years before building the interchange started, and looking at the cars I'm going to guess the late 60's say around 1968.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »
Boz

Is this the shelter that you mention, this photo was taken in 1953. At least some 15 years previous to the one in question as I guessed in my last post.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Boz

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
Boz

Is this the shelter that you mention, this photo was taken in 1953. At least some 15 years previous to the one in question as I guessed in my last post.

Hi Phil,

You're correct, that's what I was envisaging. The photograph brought back a few memories, the numbers 2; 78 and 79 trams converging at Salford Bridge. Coming off my motor bike after skidding on the tram lines and waiting for a tram home before I had transport. Good memories in the main.

tomlonggone

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2015, 02:21:08 PM »
Hi Phill
Thanks for putting the two images on, nice to see how it used to look and seems such a long time ago. Would think that there must be many images out there gathering dust, nice if enough people could find odd images and be able to send them some where to be copied then returned and then shown as a collection or as a book...or maybe there is.  Wonder if many people used to photograph trams or the change over to buses back then as a lot of these would probably show some of the surrounding area. Just a thought.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
tomlonggone

There are many books on the market that deal with trams. buses, trains etc. of the past, if you do not want to buy any just pop down your local library and look for books on old Birmingham Transport. Or if you enter the same into Google you will get very many responses.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy