Author Topic: Night Out Theatre Restaurant.  (Read 44070 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Night Out Theatre Restaurant.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »
Hi shoggy

Welcome to our forum, I have removed your post as it contravenes this rule.

"No spamming. Do not post or send unsolicited pm's advertising something or promoting another website without the permission of the administrator."

If you wish to advertise your site then please contact our administrator "Chris", other than that you are quite welcome to use our site for permitted activities.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

TonyJover

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
Hi- a couple of years late on this topic but what the heck, here's some more info.

The Night Out opened in April 1974 at which time the resident 9 piece band was Eddie Grey and The Shades Of Grey featuring lead singer Patti Sommers. The support band was Delta Dawn lead by Jeff and Julie Botwood as previously mentioned by Jeff Jr. The General Manager was Clive Preston and head of security was Eddie Lister. David Goddard was Stage Director, Rick Solly on sound and Tony Jover on lights.  Compere was Scott Paul Young.

Over the years the support band changed to Moonlight led by Jan and Bob Johnson, and then Misty Morning (I can only remember Misty's drummer's Name - Adge). Eddie Gray and Patti Sommers left and were replaced by Roger Rae and Sue Adams. Scott Paul Young was replaced by Ricky Disoni and then Frank Patterson, and Clive Preston was replaced by Paul Lillicrap (note the spelling - and he changed his name to that by deed poll, or so he told me).

Oh yes, and the [censored] Bag was a must, 6 days a week  O0

So there ya go!  Great times.

Tony & Patti

roymondo

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »
I only went to the night out a couple of times but always preferred the smaller clubs like barbarellas and the dolce vita etc but i do rememer seeing the Hollies there in the 70's, in my capacity as a musician i worked with a trombonist named Roger Rae, good player and a great  guy ,sadly passed on  about 18 months ago of lukeamia, and is much missed on the music scene, turns out that he used to play and arrange for both the house bands at the night out during its heyday,     R

TonyJover

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Roger Rae - he was, as you say, a lovely guy. Fluent in German, too.

Tony

buscchon

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Hi Tony,
You seem to have extensive knowledge of the Night Out so I was curious to find out what role you may have played there?
I was a head waiter there from the beginning and remember all the training involved before the theatre opened up. I remember most of the names mentioned   Jim Chong

TonyJover

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »
Hi Jim,

I started on lights, moved to sound, went and worked in Sardinia for a season for Forte, came back to the Night Out as Stage Director. Worked closely with both Clive and Paul throughout. Now married to Patti Sommers (who used to be married to Eddie Grey).

Apart from Pat in the kitchen the only other front of house staff I really recall is Dieter Thode.  Oh, and Lynne in the kiosk, plus her mum. Eddie Lister I've already mentioned.

Cheers
Tony

buscchon

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 11:14:37 PM »
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply and yes I remember Dieter from the beginning as he was a head waiter like myself. I remember he gave it up to run a pub. Eddie was good to me as he let me into the theatre when I wasn't on duty but it usually cost me a pint!
Pat Spofford as I knew here at the time worked the catering. I have a great story about her and Des O'Connor when he appeared there. I remember Patti Sommers and Eddie Gray well. If you have any contact details for Lynne or pat that would be great as I would like the opportunity to say hello. My email address is Jim.chong @hotmail.co.uk

Thanks
Jim

Poodledog

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Hi to everyone who used to work at the Night Out.  My name's Peter Wills and I was the Sales and Marketing Manager at the Night Out.  After Clive Preston, I was the second person to be employed there and our office used to be a wooden hut on the site whilst the main building was under construction.  I remember a lot of the names mentioned - certainly the bands, Paul and Eddie.  Forgotten most of the others but if they weree mentioned, I'm sure I would remember them.  Lyne (cloaks) married one of the assistant managers (after Paul) and went to live in Blackpool and, as far as I know are still there.  After about 3 years I became regional S & M manager and became responsible for the Talk of the Town and the Golden Garter in Manchester as well.  Then got moved to Blackpool and became National S & M Manager.
Only stumbled across this site whilst doing reesearch for a proposed book and was trying to get a list of all the top artists who played the Night Out.  Again I can remember a lot, but anyone with more info could you please email me direct.  For instance:  Who was the first star for the opening night?  Was it Tom Jones?  It would be good to hear from anyone.
PS  I now live in North Cyprus.

TonyJover

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »
Hi Peter

1st act was either Des O'Connor or Dana. We think it was Des.

Cheers
Tony

Nakka

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »
 :)  Another late post but I think my dad and mom worked there for a while in the 70s, think he was a head waiter and her a waitress or something like that.  He was also one of the first Bengali restauranteurs and had a place down from the Shah Bagh that was called the Bombay.  Happy to say they're still alive and well today and living in Warwickshire today having settled there. Their names are Nurul Zaman Khan (probably known as 'Khan' or 'Zaman') and Mary Khan (known as Jackie - don't ask me why?!).

I remember going there on the occasional Saturday about 8-10 years old and was amazed by the size and nature of the place; as you often are at such things as a lad.  Happy memories...

Poodledog

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »
Hi Everyone - thanks for your info and input.  I have confirmed that it was Des O'Connor who opened the Night Out and has since spoken to him about it.
My book, which covers some 50 years of meetings with celebrities and stars is now finished.  It's going through the editing stage and will hopefully be published via the net and kindle in the new year.  It's called "Namedropper" and will be published under my name Peter Wills.  Hope you get a chance to read it sometime in the future.
Thanks again O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy