Author Topic: brush making in brum  (Read 6161 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
brush making in brum
« on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
can some one help on this one  brush making in Birmingham in the 40s i found some old papers saying that my mother was a brush maker in Birmingham it did not give a date nore the name of the  firm that she worked for  so i ask where could it have been all i know it may be Mosley street bradford street  round about there  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: brush making in brum
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
Roy

Brush making was a big business in Birmingham at the end of the 19th century. There were many types of brushes. shaving, sweeping, painting, to name just a few.

I'm willing to bet it was Lee & James Ltd of Albion Works Moseley Street where your mother worked. It took up the corner of Moseley St & Lombard St.

This is a photo of an old Brush makers that I used to pass when I walked along Curzon St and Park St to the Bullring it was still there until the late 50's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
hi phil thanks for that

i just come across it wile sorting odds and sods and i did not know that brum had a brush makeing trade the paper goes on to say that the a.t.s had turnd  her down  she went on to work ..........that bit is missing.........  but thanks phil see what you can dig up for me  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

alanmillard

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
Roy

Brush making was a big business in Birmingham at the end of the 19th century. There were many types of brushes. shaving, sweeping, painting, to name just a few.

I'm willing to bet it was Lee & James Ltd of Albion Works Moseley Street where your mother worked. It took up the corner of Moseley St & Lombard St.

This is a photo of an old Brush makers that I used to pass when I walked along Curzon St and Park St to the Bullring it was still there until the late 50's.

Phil
newbe there was also a broom factory just off gooch st next to the paint shop on the corner i know this as my mother also worked there sorry i cant remember the name of the paint shop but i do know they sold just about every thing from candles to bug killer
alan

alanmillard

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
newbe there was also a broom factory just off gooch st next to the paint shop on the corner i know this as my mother also worked there sorry i cant remember the name of the paint shop but i do know they sold just about every thing from candles to bug killer
alan
i have been in touch with my sister who also remember the little broom factory next to the hardware store on the corner of gooch st and vaughton st the hardware store name was thornleys if any one remember the store in the sitcom the two ronnies and the four candles the shop looked exactly the same great long couter and wooden flooring
aln

shirleyh

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:08:45 PM »
 :) :) :)  My grt grandmother was a brushmaker according to the census; she lived in Aston.  That was on the 1881 Census; they moved to USA a couple of years later, but before Queen Victoria made Birmingham a City.  You will probably remember they lived on Gerrard Street, and my Grt Grandfather was a Journeyman Silversmith working in Lozells.

sh

alanmillard

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:41:46 PM »
:) :) :)  My grt grandmother was a brushmaker according to the census; she lived in Aston.  That was on the 1881 Census; they moved to USA a couple of years later, but before Queen Victoria made Birmingham a City.  You will probably remember they lived on Gerrard Street, and my Grt Grandfather was a Journeyman Silversmith working in Lozells.sorry love i am only 70 not 170 all the best alan
sh

shirleyh

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »
 :) :) :)  Hi, Alan -

I'll be 70 in October of this year.  I've also done our family history by doing census and asking questions for the past 6 years.  All you really need to do is ask questions, follow dates, and know how to read!  The investment of time is history and answers which this forum knows; all that's required is "knowing".  So many have learned so much!  sdh

alanmillard

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
:) :) :)  Hi, Alan -

I'll be 70 in October of this year.  I've also done our family history by doing census and asking questions for the past 6 years.  All you really need to do is ask questions, follow dates, and know how to read!  The investment of time is history and answers which this forum knows; all that's required is "knowing".  So many have learned so much!  sdh
Hi shirleyh i am also trying to do my family tree so is my son inlaw and don't know if you have tried the My Heritage program i think its great lets you add photos quite easy the difficult thing is getting the photo's to start with. can i ask you what part of balsal heath you or your family came from all the best alan

shirleyh

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »
 :) :) :)  Hi Alan!

I've mainly stuck to Ancestry.com as well as this and other forums; the folks here really know their history, and my relatives moved to Birmingham before it became a City.  Nevertheless, it was around 1812, and went to 1884, which is quite a bit of history.  So much happened in that time period, like the industrial revolution, and while the people here aren't in the Name business, they could and did help me to understand the area much better than I could have any other way.  sdh

robster69

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »
Hi there, Does anyone have any info regarding Lee and James Ltd, Albion Works, Moseley Street? I may have a relative associated with this brush manufacturer dating between late 1800s and mid 1900s, which I am trying to confirm. Normally googling draws a blank apart from an advert from 1951 which I found via Grace's Guide.

Rob

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy