Author Topic: brush making in brum  (Read 6162 times)

Edmund Fifield

Re: brush making in brum
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
My father worked in the brush making industry for a small factory in Balsallheath by the name of LUNGS.He used to sort the hair for paint brushes and other things,he left in 49 when we moved from Vauxhall to Kitts Green,I think it still going not sure.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 05:55:07 PM »
Hi there, Does anyone have any info regarding Lee and James Ltd, Albion Works, Moseley Street? I may have a relative associated with this brush manufacturer dating between late 1800s and mid 1900s, which I am trying to confirm. Normally googling draws a blank apart from an advert from 1951 which I found via Grace's Guide.

Rob

Rob

Welcome to you, sorry all I can tell you about Lee & James Brushmakers is that the Albion Works was at the Junction of Lombard Street & Moseley Street.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
My father worked in the brush making industry for a small factory in Balsallheath by the name of LUNGS.He used to sort the hair for paint brushes and other things,he left in 49 when we moved from Vauxhall to Kitts Green,I think it still going not sure.

Edmund

I can find no information at all on any Brushmaker by the name of Lungs in the Balsall Heath Area or in Birmingham area at all. The nearest I can get to it is Christopher Leng & Sons of Stirchley.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 10:30:11 PM »

Edmund do you think you could have got the name wrong.
There was a C. H. Leng and Sons, of Sherborne Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham. (1922) Brush makers
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 11:29:45 PM »
Phil, my father did work for a company called Long or Lung or Leng ,Chris the boss made me a christal set o I coul pick up radio Luxemberge all those year s ago

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 12:00:57 AM »
Edmund

Then as far as I can see unless it was Lengs which was as pretty big firm, then it was that small they never bothered to register in the Trade Directory which was unusual because the standard entry was free and you only paid if you has an advert.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »
Thanks Phil,Iwas only 9 when my dad left so must have mistook the name ,he worked for the a good few years.Met Mr Les Leng a few times a very nice person.My father worked there all through the war and did fire watching at night.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 11:31:44 AM »
Phil when I search my memory all those years ago I seem to remember where my dad worked in the building the window that he looked out of backed onto the River Rea,is this right.?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
Edmund

The Hazlewell Brush works (C Leng) did indeed back on to the River Rea. It was on Fordhouse Lane sandwiched between Pershore Road and the Rea.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »
Used to watch my dad take a huge handful of I think Horse hair and continually pull it though a thing on a bench with about 20-30 long pointed spikes,it finished up lovely in long streaks and so smooth.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »

Edmund

I don't know how old your dad was when he started at C H Leng, but I found this photo the other day, apparently the factory Reliant Works was in Sherbourne Road until the mid 20's or thereabouts so they were in Balsall Heath at one time I just wasn't looking early enough. This photo show a group of women workers at the works during the 1914/18 war.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy