Author Topic: Wyndham Racing Cycling Club  (Read 6493 times)

Ian Dalziel

Re: Wyndham Racing Cycling Club
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
Ian
   When did Eric Gordon pass away?,only on Facebook 70s cycling remembered someone has posted a pic of a track tean before a track meet in Valencia and Eric,Mick Ives,Dave Watkins,Lutz Durlacher,& i think Baz Keogh too!.
Cant post the pic as it needs re sizing and am not sure how to do that.

Fred

Hi Fred
I think Eric died in 2003/04. I would love to see the photo, if you are not able to put on the forum, let me know and I will do it for you if you like.
I bumped into Dave Watkins at a Dunlop reunion lunch approx 18 months ago and Mick Ives is still riding vets races even though he must be almost 80. Unbelievable!
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

brigader

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 12:15:54 AM »
Hi Ian,
   Will have a go at the re sizing and post the pic!,Have seen Mick Ives a few tiimes lately as i have been riding in the West Mids Cyclo Cross League and Mick has been riding in the over 75yrs section and Barry Mitchell in the over 65yrs section.

You shall have to have a look on FaceBook on the 60s-70s cycling remembered as some familiar faces & names keep popping up.

Fred

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 04:20:08 PM »
Hi Fred,
I've just got back from our Wednesday morning club run but old age and heart disease have slowed me down quite a bit. I don't know how you manage to keep riding cyclocross - very hard with no respite. Some mutual friends you may know in the cyclocross world - Bob Franks, John Pottier, and of course, the Rowntree and Payton families.

I'll check out the Facebook page.

Thanks, Ian

brigader

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »
Hi Ian,
    Can you PM me so i can send the pic to you for re sizing,i not having any luck with it at all.

I see  Isla Rowntree regular at the cross races and we used to be in Blackheath cc together and i reminded her of it a few weeks ago and she was amazed it was  26 years ago!,yes the Rowntrees & Paytons are there every week,i do not know them personally thoughbut  Hannah doing very well in ladies and kevin in vets but believe there are wo other Paytons riding well?.

Whose run is it you go on then on wednsdays?,not the run from Clent is it Garry Edwards,Dave Viner,sometimes go on?.

Fred

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 12:12:53 PM »
Hi Fred,
            Although I used to train and race with Gary and Dave when I was in the Stourbridge (with the Rowntrees), I am older and slower than them and they often pass our run on Wednesdays. We meet at the Talbot in Belbroughton.

Isla worked for me as a Saturday girl when I had Halesowen Cycles before she moved on to Halfords and then started her own Islabikes business. She was also the 'stoker' on my tandem and we beat the hour when she was only 17. Most of my staff have done well since leaving, e.g. my first manager, Dave now owns Daves Cycles in Walsall and his replacement Chris (still in the cycle trade) appeared on the TV programme about Richard Branson's Necker Island.

I will send you a message re the pic

Thanks,
 Ian

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
Ian
   When did Eric Gordon pass away?,only on Facebook 70s cycling remembered someone has posted a pic of a track tean before a track meet in Valencia and Eric,Mick Ives,Dave Watkins,Lutz Durlacher,& i think Baz Keogh too!.
Cant post the pic as it needs re sizing and am not sure how to do that.

Fred

Hi Fred, thanks for sending me the photo. Sorry, I don't recognise anyone - not even my old mate Eric and I know that Dave Watkins is now a lot bigger than anybody in this pic. How they all changed over the years!

brigader

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
From the left,Eric Gordon,Dave Watkins in GB colours,Mick Ives,Baz Keogh,Geoff Cooke,Lutz Durlacher,Barry Harvey.

Pic taken at Nules south of Valencia.

lutleyyeltz

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »
Hi Fred,
I've just got back from our Wednesday morning club run but old age and heart disease have slowed me down quite a bit. I don't know how you manage to keep riding cyclocross - very hard with no respite. Some mutual friends you may know in the cyclocross world - Bob Franks, John Pottier, and of course, the Rowntree and Payton families.

I'll check out the Facebook page.

Thanks, Ian
I used to ride 2 up TTs with Kevin Payton and have "stoked" a tandem with his dad, Reg, when I was in the Oldbury and District CC

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 10:37:59 PM »
Hi Lutley,
Do you mean Kevin's father in law, Reg Bromley who I knew well because he was also a Rep in the cycle trade and he used to call on my shop weekly? I went to Reg's funeral which was very well attended.

lutleyyeltz

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:43 AM »
Hi Lutley,
Do you mean Kevin's father in law, Reg Bromley who I knew well because he was also a Rep in the cycle trade and he used to call on my shop weekly? I went to Reg's funeral which was very well attended.
Yes, of course, Reg was Kevin's father in law. He used to be a regular timekeeper on local TTs.
I didn't know that Reg had died as I had lost touch with all my old training and racing friends.
I'm very sorry at his passing. He was a friendly, helpful man.

Bikerrobbo

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 11:28:42 PM »
My dad was in the Wyndham Ian Robson he wasn't to bad a cyclist, he introduced me to the sport. But unfortunately he passed away 2006 from cancer even while he was ill he still rode his bike god bless him

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy