Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 1815 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2018, 02:44:13 PM »
Loss of Internet connection, at crucial time.......

Peg Monkey

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2018, 10:51:36 PM »
I don't remember being put on detention, or even getting a House Debit Point - but then again I might have blanked that part out from my school memory! But I could understand if Miss Chivvers had given me one for gate-crashing her lessons, me and my 2 or 3 close associates would attend her lesson during our free periods in the 5th year when we were supposed to be swotting for our CSEs, she was always too polite to ask us to leave - I'm gripped by a sense of guilt nowsorry, Miss Chivvers!
Peg.
P.S. Don't know what subjects she taught, can anyone remember?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »
Forum Rule Violation - Sorry Mods, wont happen again.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
Fame at last - I suppose I must have been in the 3rd year (aged 14, 1963) when I was giving my mother a tour of the school one Parents' Day, we were in the Art Room looking at an exhibit when a guy turned up with a very professional looking camera, he explained  he was from the Evening Mail and was doing a piece on the school. He asked if we would pose by the art work and then he took his photo, we purchased a print of the actual shot but didn't keep the article from the mail - what a pity!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2018, 02:26:37 PM »
Given that the Historic Inflation Calculator that I use says that 12d (a shilling) in 1964 is worth 2.39 today in 2018 and that School meals in Solihull cost 2.05  a day. I would say school meals as always are good value and cheaper than they were in 1964.
Linguinie Carbonara?!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »
Book stand - The most useful item I made in my HLS Woodwork classes (4th year, I think) was a book stand, I was flattered when Mr Watson offered to buy it but I'd lavished so much love and care on it I wanted to keep it, I'm disappointed I don't still have it - can't remember the circumstances but somewhere it's got lost along the way.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 11:37:55 PM »
Harry Lucas by a gnat's whisker - My parent's house in Heaton St. overlooked the rear entrance to Icknield St. Senior School and for many years it was a foregone conclusion on my part that I would go there when my time at Farm St. School was at an end  -  but it didn't work out like that. There was a lot going on when I was 10 (1959); I was born in Heaton St and suddenly my family was re-homed to the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington and the move took place whilst I still had a few months remaining at Farm St. School. The Headteacher at Lyndhurst Primary School declined to accept me on the basis it was better for all concerned if I finished my junior school education at Farm St. and then go straight to Moor End Lane School, Erdington. The Headteacher at the Yenton Junior School took the same view.
But when the time came to choose my senior school I chose Harry Lucas because I had a few friends going there, in hindsight not moving to Moor End Lane was a mistake as I had a journey by 64 and inner circle 8 to and from school for the best part of the next 5 years.
The irony was when I moved to Harry Lucas me and my friends were placed in the middle stream, I was lucky enough to be moved upto the top stream in the second year leaving all my friends behind, Ah well! That's life!
Peg.