Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302208 times)

Scipio

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #616 on: October 01, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »

Phil you're probably right , I know it was supposed to be a sister club to La Dolce Vita on the Smallbrook ringway

Phil you were right just read up about Dolce Vita , someone said he worked there and the sister club The Cavendish spot on Phil

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #617 on: October 01, 2017, 12:03:37 PM »

Phil you were right just read up about Dolce Vita , someone said he worked there and the sister club The Cavendish spot on Phil

Scipio

I was allowed to use La Dolce Vita because my wife always accompanied me when I went there. I saw some very good acts there, and was quite surprised and how good some acts that I wasn't keen on (the wife's choice) were. I saw my own personal favourite there The Big "O" and was nearly deafened by Lulu, fell in love all over again with Dusty Springfield and was amazed at the energy and vitality of Norman Wisdom (the wife's choice). Strangely enough although the Cavendish was much nearer we never used it and we used  The Cresta on Hobs Moat road instead.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

garybotfield

« Reply #618 on: October 01, 2017, 04:10:39 PM »
hi everyone,new to site,can anyone recall bogarts?

Yes used to go there, German beer Keller downstairs and heavy rock disco upstairs used to play the full version of Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd including the incredible guitar solo. Used to go there and then on to the Railway Tavern in Curzon Street to see live bands. Rainmaker were a great band down there. Steve Gibbons always down there jamming.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #619 on: October 01, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »
My only knowledge of Bogarts was when we the contract to gut it out in the 90's we stripped all three floor out back to the bear walls. Though most of the cellar was left as it was with even the furniture was left where it was and it was boarded up, it must still be there today. We did the same sort of job at Mothers in Erdington and the Institute in Digbeth.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #620 on: October 01, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »

Scipio

I was allowed to use La Dolce Vita because my wife always accompanied me when I went there. I saw some very good acts there, and was quite surprised and how good some acts that I wasn't keen on (the wife's choice) were. I saw my own personal favourite there The Big "O" and was nearly deafened by Lulu, fell in love all over again with Dusty Springfield and was amazed at the energy and vitality of Norman Wisdom (the wife's choice). Strangely enough although the Cavendish was much nearer we never used it and we used  The Cresta on Hobs Moat road instead.

Phil my only claim to fame with La Dolce Vita , went there late 60's early 70's with my new wife , her sister and her boyfriend . Marmalade was playing that night , the only thought I had coming away from there was how flaming dear it was . Never went to the Cavendish or Cresta .
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #621 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »

Phil my only claim to fame with La Dolce Vita , went there late 60's early 70's with my new wife , her sister and her boyfriend . Marmalade was playing that night , the only thought I had coming away from there was how flaming dear it was . Never went to the Cavendish or Cresta .

Scipio

Now I never thought it was expensive at all, anyway if you didn't want the bother of booking a table and having a full meal you just roll up and pay on the door and go up to the top floor where you could get chicken & chips in a basket of you wanted and watch the show from there if you so wished, it was much cheaper.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #622 on: October 01, 2017, 09:08:14 PM »

Scipio

Now I never thought it was expensive at all, anyway if you didn't want the bother of booking a table and having a full meal you just roll up and pay on the door and go up to the top floor where you could get chicken & chips in a basket of you wanted and watch the show from there if you so wished, it was much cheaper.

Perhaps if I hadn't gone there mob handed , it would have made the difference up
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #623 on: October 01, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »
Used to go to the CEDAR CLUB with my cousin who was big mates with Chris Fewtrell,even held his stag there 62 ,quite a boossy night on Bacardi and coka cola

hello edmund...cant be sure but i would think phil may have posted a pic of the cedar club on this thread??..i lived just round the corner from it and worked a little way down from it...

lyn

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #624 on: October 01, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
Lyn

There is a photo of The Cedar Club on page 30 of the thread, it's one of three different clubs in that post.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #625 on: October 01, 2017, 10:26:17 PM »

hello edmund...cant be sure but i would think phil may have posted a pic of the cedar club on this thread??..i lived just round the corner from it and worked a little way down from it...

lyn

Lyn didyou ever go to the settlement in Summer Lane ?
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #626 on: October 02, 2017, 03:45:15 AM »
no john never went there. the original settlement building was lovely..long gone of course..used the barrel pub on the corner though..also worked in summer lane

lyn

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy