Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 303506 times)

townie

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »
Does anybody remember the Ringway club i think it was in bromsgrove street. I spent all my teenage life in there every night of the week. The best thing about it, there was all walks of life in there, and i mean all kinds. It didn't matter who, or what you were, it was great.   :)
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Hi Denniscarole

I spent quite some time in the Ringway (yes it was Bromsgrove St) the time I am talking of would have 67 - 68 mostly. So if you used the Ringway, did you also use the Crown?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2010, 03:51:19 PM »
Hi Phil. Yes i used the crown as well. I think it was around the late sixties early seventies. We used all places in town,They used to call us townies. I remember after leaving the Ringway at about 2 we used to walk down the  road to the mexicarno cafe where we would sit until morning. Do you remember that? There was one person who stood out in the crown an old boy named Ted who always wore a trilby hat and button hole do you remember him? or anything else.   

peter brummy

« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
Denniscarole, the Incognito Club was another one, along with The Daddy Long Legs .... The Tow Rope Cafe as well as the Mexicarno .... Barry Parker the King of the Queers used to go in there .... LOL ...!

townie

« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Hi Pete As far as i can remember there were only 3 all night cafes open that was the Mexi, Tow rope until 4am and another that was near 5 ways but cant remember the name. Dont know if you can or anybody else.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
Dennis

When I used the Mexi it was not an all night café, neither was the Sicilia at Five ways. We used The Tow Rope, it stopped open all night in 67/68. The Rendezvous just down the road that stopped open all night as well. Tell me something, I could have swore that the Mexi was on near to the corner of Bromsgove St and Hurst St but my but having looked for records of it I can find none.

I know that Oxford John the police drug undercover officer operated from there in the Mid 60's. He got a big pat on the back in the mid 60's when he exposed a few LSD, Cannabis & Purple Heart pushers. He was in the wrong place anyway.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
Phil
As far as i can remember the Mexi was on Bromsgrove St, out of the Ringway across the lights at Husrt St and it was on the same side.
Dennis.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »
hi phil
          his real name was john love roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »
Roy

I spoke to the bloke a couple of times, not that I used the Mexi that much it was more the haunt of a mate of mine at the time. The Tow Rope was more my scene and then only until the Ringway or the Rum Runner threw me out.  As I say I have tried to trace the exact location of the Mexi since and been unsuccessful I sometimes think that I imagined it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astrablue

« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »
Hi all!
I used to work in the albany ,met my husband in the locarno 38 years ago .andy ross was the band he went on to do come dancing on the tv .I also used the dolce vita,shamrock and the ringway they were all in same area,and do you remember all the curry houses on broad street!
we used to come straight out clubs at 2 in the morning ,into the curry houses they shut at 4ish and then straight back to albany <We lived on the premIses> and had to be at work for 6 45am happy days O0

I am one
but im only one
cant do everything
but can do something
i do what i can do
and what i can do
i ought to do !

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »
Dennis

Thats exactly where I place the Mexi but I can find no record of it in any of the Kelly's Directories. Have you any idea when it closed down. I stopped using the town at the back end of 68 when I settled down so I sort of lost track of things. Though I did occasionally use the Ringway and the Crown until about 1972, but nowhere as often that I used to.

Here a few few photos that you might like to see, The Crown, The Ringway (inside), The Tow Rope, The Rendezvous & The Sicilia.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy