Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302247 times)

albrown

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 11:45:27 AM »
Does no-one remember Mothers in Erdington.  Pink Floyd recorded Ummagumma at Mothers, the gig guide was an A-Z of big bands.  Floyd,  Yes, Led Zep, The Strawbs, Free all appeared there in the late 60s. 8)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »
albrown

Hello and welcome to the forum, if you look back in the Birmingham Chat board there is a thread on Mothers in Erdington. I never went there myself, just did some work there after a fire.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

albrown

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »
Thanks Phil.

Claude

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 07:37:36 AM »
Wow, Pink Floyd recording in Erdington...? Who would have thought???

Yes, Snobs still there, packed especially on Wednesday nights, it reminds me of my student days.

'Neway, hoping it doesnt clash with the thread, I thought I'd list a few clubs that were popular in the early to mid-90s:

Snobs itself,
Eddies no.8 on John Bright Street, a stone's throw from the Alexandra Theatre and The Brook centre;
{Eddies was popular in the early 90s. Believe it or not bands like Nirvana (before they became massive) and Suede played there!}

XLs (rock/goth club in Five Ways);
XLs had a twin rock bar down Fletcher's Walk, almost opposite Snobs, called XPosure. It then turned into a stripclub called XPose' :-) no pun intended :-P

Of those listed above, only Snobs is still standing. It must be the oldest club in Brum that's still going.

Then there was the Hummingbird, now The Carling Academy, but there's rumours of that going soon.
Do people remember a venue called The Foundry? It hosted a few indie bands in the 90s like Gene, Shed Seven etc

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 01:25:12 PM »
Claude

The only clubs I knew about in the 90's would be working mens clubs or a Christmas club. of the clubs you mention I think the only one I ever got into was Edwards No 8.

You mention the Hummingbird, a prime example of a City Council funding people to do their own thing. Apparently doing their own thing on this occasion was to disappear with the funding and owing the Council hundreds of thousands of pounds, and not only on one occasion.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mazbeth

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
didn't the Hummingbird used to be the Top Rank club in the early 70's?
I never managed to get to that one, but some girls in my class did.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »
mazbeth

I wouldn't put money on it, but I think that the Hummingbird started out as The Top Rank Suite.  Somewhere in the back of my mind a little voice tells me that I might have got in there once.  The trouble is in those days if I was out on the town my brain was pickled.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Grayston

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »
New to this thread. The Humbinbird was originally The Top Rank Suite. There were two rooms, the main dance hall with an upper gallery and on the ground floor was the Warwick Room. I was part of a group of guys who did a mobile disco and often played in the Warwick Room in late 60's early 70's. One of the 'best' clubs must have been the Rainbow Suite on top of the Co-Op in High Street. There was a lift up to the club where there were two rooms, the large room with live bands and the bar with disco. Some summer nights they opened to doors to the roof terrace. Thursday and Saturday nights were Rainbow Nights, then on to the Top Rank and Surfside Cafe or The Rum Runner and Tow Rope. More clubs coming to mind - I'll Be Back!

Telstar

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »
Used to go to the Rainbow Suite on a Thursday nights around 1969 - 1970 - 71 .... Sometimes went there on a Saturday night ..... and the BRS ....

A few others, The Top Rank Suite, started out there on a Saturday morning and a Tuesday night ....

Rebecca's, Barbarella's, La Dolce Vita, Locarno, Snoopy's, and one someone on here was looking for in Edmund St, Pollyanna's .....

Lower down the scale there was .... The Daddy Long Legs, The Incognito, The Deritend, The Shamrock, The Jigsaw Club, The Talk of The Town, The Golden Gloves and The Irish Centre ....

There was loads of working men clubs .... One I enjoyed once was The Midland Red Club ....

We even had a strip club back then called The Peter Rabbit Strip Club .... Long, long before Legs 11 and Spearmint Rhino .....

I was in Legs 11 for a Christmas Do in 1997 and I have to say it was well organised, with beautiful girls and it was great .....

We also had a very good entertainment venue back in the late 70's - 80 being it's hey day ....

The Night Out .... Dinner and a show for what I thought to be very small money even for the time ....

We saw the 3 Degrees and the Drifters there for about £7.50 including dinner .... Ridiculously cheap .... I lived in Dublin at the time, as I do now, so maybe I was comparing it with prices here ....       8)     Telstar

I think looking back summers 1969 - 71 in the Rainbow Suite when I was a kid and making my way in the world and buying my Levi's, Wrangler's, Levi Stay Press and two tone trousers .... Prince of Wales check trousers .... with braces ....

Jaytex, Brutus, and Ben Sherman shirts .... Loveson Jodpher Riding Boots, Royal Brogues, Smoothes and Oxfords .... Monkey Boots and Doc Martin's .... Cronbie coats and Harrington jackets and denim jackets .... Brut was the aftershave of the day and I was .... 13 - 14 .... Didn't even need any ....

And reggae was the music .....     Yea man !        O0

The truth always prevails.....

jaykay

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 06:26:46 AM »
Hello Everyone,
And what about the notorious Dolls Club, by the flyover at the start of the Coventry road.
A bunch of us used to go there after a night getting tanked up in the Avenue in Green lane
or the Custard House.
1/6 to get in and egg and chips as well-happy days.
Regards John.

frederick

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
i used to go to the Top Rank Dale End when it first opend it was very smart with the top balcony and the floor below it never seemed as busy as the Lacarno or the Tower ballroom that would be in the late 60s
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy