Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302238 times)

Jacqueline

Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« on: February 02, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »
Here are the ones i remember. Top Rank, Dale End. The Locarno. Barbarella's. Rebecca's and i think there was one called Samantha's?

I only ever attended the first two. Sad or what?

Can you add to the list.

john2000

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
My local hangout was  "The Locarno" there most week ends, I addopted a kind of half sister, who always wanted me to take her dancing me being 19 and she 16 years old, had never been to a place like that, and she loved it, but it cramped my style a little, because I had to bring her home after the dance ( but, orders are orders ), at times I was pleased to, because she looked older than she was, and a good looking woman even at 16 years old, she would turn heads, some of the weirdo's that would try to pick her up was unbelievable, most times it went well, she had a good time and so did I, but now and again, some creep would try to muscle in and try to take her outside, but he would back off when he knew she was with me, one or two tried it, and on the bus she would ask "what happend to "Jimmy"?, oh, he fell down the stairs and couldn't make it, "always spoiling my fun, she said one day"and that hurt me alittle, so the next creep who came along, ( and there was quite a few went to the dance hall) chatted her up, I just stepped back out the way, but could see what was going on, anyway same old story, he tried it on, she began to panic, so I stepped in and asked him nicely to leave, he wouldn't, so I sent her inside, later on the bus, she asked what happend, I told her, he fell down the stairs, after that she always came home with me,  later she met a guy who knew her family, and she started dating him, ( shes been married to him now for about 40 years or so,)... happy days, 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:39:17 PM »
Now, I'm am surprised, there are more things in life than religion, ok for some, Fridays or Sundays was a no go area for entertainment, but what about the rest of the week.??? ???

john2000

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:20:53 PM »
Well, sad, but I will move on, religion is not my thing, take care every one, and enjoy the rest of your life............ John 2000

Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
Where did the religion bit come from? ???

brino1962

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »
he lost me too on the religion bit i remember sam wellers had many a good time inthere but you also had a great time in most of the pubs

bubbles

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »
does anyone remember a club in fiveways in the 80's, by world of leather, which was just outside fiveways island. it was upstairs. the bar was on the left and the dance floor at the end on the left. it may have been a pub that had a dance floor, i just remember it as a club, but its been driving me mad for years. i know its not unspoilt by progress.

kelama

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:48:24 PM »
Anyone remember the name of a basement club in edmund street ?(back of colmore row) (early70's)

How come no one mentions  Sloopies ?

ragga

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 01:30:11 AM »
Lo Bubbles
                 Would it be Faces nite-club  ???? >:(
                  that was by five way precient .
                               ragga  :)

bubbles

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
thanks ragga
faces was in the square, i mean't outside fiveways, off big island by the world of leather, but thanks anyway!!!

sueb

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 07:08:22 PM »
Just found this thread, hope you don't mind me reviving it a bit.

I think the place that is being talked about by Five Ways Island must be Horts Wine Bar.  I used to go there all the time in the late 70s, along with Sloopys, The Cedar Club (a right dive!), the Oxford in Moseley, Rum Runner, Snobs and various others that I can't remember the names of.  I also used to go to the Monte Carlo in Handsworth, in fact still did until it closed down a few years ago.  Does anyone remember that, or go there?  It really was a dive, but there was rarely any trouble and it was such a laugh!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy