Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302219 times)

Scipio

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #638 on: October 02, 2017, 09:33:54 PM »

ahh i see john...well the bartons arms is still going strong thank god.. a jewel of a pub

lyn

Yes I used that quite a few times when I lived around there Lyn
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #639 on: October 02, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
john its one of if not the finest pun interiors in the country..i popped in there a few weeks back...our dad was in there one day during the 50s and bumped into laurel and hardy who were staying there as they were appearing at the nearby hipp...he asked for their autographs and was not so politely told by oliver hardy where to go...charming :o

lyn

jamesm

« Reply #640 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
Have had a pre-match drink in there often before going on to Villa Park. Alas never bumped in to Stan and Olliie but I would have deemed it an honour to have spoken to them even if was to be to to **** off ;D ;D

Scipio

« Reply #641 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »

john its one of if not the finest interior pubs in the country..i popped in there a few weeks back...our dad was in there one day during the 50s and bumped into laurel and hardy who were staying there as they were appearing at the nearby hipp...he asked for their autographs and was not so politely told by oliver hardy where to go...charming :o

lyn

Puts another side to him in my book, not the funny lovable sort all the time then. Did yo ever go there the Friday night David Soul and
Sally James were there doing a programme for the BBC . I used to like the jazz on a Sunday dinner time there
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #642 on: October 02, 2017, 10:26:03 PM »
no john i didnt go there then...what year would that have been...cant believe i missed david soul :(

astoness

« Reply #643 on: October 02, 2017, 10:38:30 PM »
Have had a pre-match drink in there often before going on to Villa Park. Alas never bumped in to Stan and Olliie but I would have deemed it an honour to have spoken to them even if was to be to to **** off ;D ;D

maybe he was just having a bad day or stan had gotten him into another right mess ;D ;D

Scipio

« Reply #644 on: October 03, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »

no john i didnt go there then...what year would that have been...cant believe i missed david soul :(

Mid 80's I think , believe it or not I said hell to him in the gents . He wasn't very nice to his wife though Lyn
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #645 on: October 03, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »

maybe he was just having a bad day or stan had gotten him into another right mess ;D ;D

You could  have  then boasted, that you'd been told to go away by celebrities ha ha
Mark Twain

ironside

« Reply #646 on: November 05, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
Seems like a good thread to ask a question. I have just found a song, on Youtube, I had been looking for thirty years; I didn't know the title. There is another one a guy used to get up and sing at the Mile Oak nightclub (on the A5 towards Tamworth.) It was played regularly on BBC radio in the 50's; a sort of Mario Lanza song, but he didn't sing it. The words were something like: "Mardi Gras the towns alive  because tonight they are celebrating ....Dancing along at the Mardi Gras." Any takers? A song can't just disappear can it? 

Scipio

« Reply #647 on: November 05, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »

Seems like a good thread to ask a question. I have just found a song, on Youtube, I had been looking for thirty years; I didn't know the title. There is another one a guy used to get up and sing at the Mile Oak nightclub (on the A5 towards Tamworth.) It was played regularly on BBC radio in the 50's; a sort of Mario Lanza song, but he didn't sing it. The words were something like: "Mardi Gras the towns alive  because tonight they are celebrating ....Dancing along at the Mardi Gras." Any takers? A song can't just disappear can it?

Ironside try David Whitfield Mardi Gras
Mark Twain

ironside

« Reply #648 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
That's amazing Scipio, how did you do that? Thank you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy