Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302188 times)

TJOTCO

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
Hello, I am desperately searching for a man called Ivan or Ivor who went to the Aero nightclub at Birmingham Airport in 1970. Can anybody please help? Thank you.

Scipio

« Reply #661 on: February 10, 2018, 10:14:09 PM »

Here are the ones i remember. Top Rank, Dale End. The Locarno. Barbarella's. Rebecca's and i think there was one called Samantha's?

I only ever attended the first two. Sad or what?

Can you add to the list.

Hi Jaqueline , just noticed your post . Top Rank in Dale End was at the time to be the successor to the good old West End in Suffolk St, not to be sadly went in there a couple of times when it first opened not a patch on the West End no atmosphere nothing

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #662 on: February 10, 2018, 11:00:36 PM »

Does anybody remember the Ringway club i think it was in bromsgrove street. I spent all my teenage life in there every night of the week. The best thing about it, there was all walks of life in there, and i mean all kinds. It didn't matter who, or what you were, it was great.   :)

I remember it very well Townie , can never forget seeing Barry the gay with his dog , and all the young ladies running around to bring the dog back to Barry . Yes you are right there were all kinds there both male and female
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #663 on: February 11, 2018, 12:31:25 AM »
Scipio

When did you use the Ringway, I used it for most of 1967/68. I knew Barry Parker for years, I also used to see him in the Tow Rope Cafe and the Rum Runner but I had known him since about 1963 from the Cafes around Balsall Heath. At that time he used to hang around with Pauline.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »

Scipio

When did you use the Ringway, I used it for most of 1967/68. I knew Barry Parker for years, I also used to see him in the Tow Rope Cafe and the Rum Runner but I had known him since about 1963 from the Cafes around Balsall Heath. At that time he used to hang around with Pauline.

Phil it would be about 67-69 , I first started chatting to him In the Cosmos café on Broad Street , just up past Sheepcote street . It used to be open till about 2.30am bottled beer was available upstairs in a  a disco , quite some colourful characters there I can tell you. This
one Saturday night I seen this mature looking woman in a very nice blue and white 2 piece costume I asked her if she would like to dance , he answered no thanks I might do later, boy that surprised me , the one night Barry turned up in a Cortina ,he was wearing a white fedora hat he was on his way to the Tow Rope and gave me a lift down there , as I lived behind the Hall of Memory  at the time . Thinking back I don't know whether or not he used to go in the Crown in Station St , we used to go upstairs there on a Friday night after the Crown closed for the night it was straight around to the Ringway I used to like Barry .
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #665 on: February 11, 2018, 12:04:53 PM »
Scipio I don't suppose you know, but I wondered if Barry Parker was still alive? He must be in his 70s now if he is.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

viggy

« Reply #666 on: February 19, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »
Four of us used to come up from Worcester as a change to the Bank House at Bransford and it was really great. My three mates used to go upstairs to the disco but I always stayed on the ballroom floor because the bands were sooo good! Couldn't dance so used to waltz to everything (lol). Got moved to Leeds and, joy of joy, there was a Mecca there as well which my landlord used to come with me. Truly brilliant times for teenagers.

Nick C
Worcester.

Scipio

« Reply #667 on: February 19, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »

Scipio I don't suppose you know, but I wondered if Barry Parker was still alive? He must be in his 70s now if he is.

Townie I am sorry I seemed to have missed this post , to be honest I haven't a clue . I don't know whether or not Phil might know
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #668 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »
Scipio

The last time I ever saw Barry would have been about 1970 and that would have been in the corner bar of the Crown at that time he would have been into his 30's I would imagine and that's 38 years ago.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #669 on: February 19, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
No problem Scipio.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Scipio

« Reply #670 on: February 19, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »

Scipio

The last time I ever saw Barry would have been about 1970 and tat would have been in the corner bar of the Crown at that time he would have been into his 30's I would imagine and that's 38 years ago.

Thanks for that Phil ,  I bet he's still as well turned out as he was back in the 60's
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy