Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302194 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #726 on: August 30, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Fond memories of the past 15. The Night Out Theatre Restaurant (mid 1970s) - The Night Out opened April 1975 and was considered by many to be the finest example of that type of nightspot in the UK, the seating arrangement resembled a Roman amphitheatre, rising rows and rows of seats (with tables) in a semi circle with the stage at the focal point. You were entertained by top class acts as you dined and there was a small area for dancing in front of the stage when you felt the urge to boogey.
My wife and myself visited the venue one night shortly after opening when Ted Rogers (321 fame) headlined with up and coming magician Paul Daniels a supporting act, but the real high point for my wife was when she had a front row seat to watch Scott Walker (her life-long heartthrob) lead the Walker Bros.
I remember one visit which was memorable for the wrong reason - there was some sort of long-running dispute between management and staff and you had to negotiate an intimidating picket-line to enter the venue.
The venue closed in 1983 and re-opened as The Dome Oct 1985 (I never visited The Dome).
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #727 on: August 31, 2018, 03:32:34 PM »
Fond memories of the past 16. A question for the ladies - Is it possible to change your outfit every second during the course of an evening without once changing your dress? Answer: Yes you could if you frequented The Factory Night Club in Gas St in the 60s.
The Factory was a small intimate club and was one of the only clubs at that time that I know of that had psychedelic lighting - this was not just fancy coloured flashing disco lights which were commomplace.
I believe the effect was achieved using a clear hollow revolving filter in front of a powerful projector style spotlight, the filter contained a range of coloured oils which intermingled but never mixed and formed a limitless range of patterns and colours on the club wall as the lens rotated, add more projectors and you increase the effect even further.
So if you were a young lady who wanted to steal the show you wore a pure white dress and tried to get pole position on the disco floor, then you became a human canvas for the light show.
The Opposite Lock Club was almost next door but I think it was a jazz club - that sound never appealed to me but I know it has its fans.
Ah! Happy Days!
Peg.
P.S. It was about that time North Sea Gas started to be piped ashore and Gas Street was nick-named High Speed Gas Street (although I have to say I didn't notice any difference after our cooker had been converted).

Peg Monkey

« Reply #728 on: August 31, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
Fond memories of the past 17. - The Swan at Yardley. If I'd been fortunate enough to convince a classy young lady that the only place she wanted to be on the forthcoming Saturday Night was on my arm there were a few destinations that came to mind, the Bel Air was right up there but you needed your own transport, if bussing then The Swan at Yardley was a great second choice, I've been trying to remember what bus I must have got from where I lived on the Lyndhurst Estate - the 28 along the Chester Rd or the 64 to 6 Ways Erdington and then the outer Circle 11 - not sure, it's been a long time.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #729 on: September 01, 2018, 01:05:59 AM »
Fond memories of the past 18. - The Tower Ballroom. I'd been married for a year or two before I experienced the delights of The Tower, great venue, don't remember much about the bands that appeared there, but I do remember the music being pretty good.
I have learned over the years there are two certain things to a ladies heart - Poetry and Ballroom Dancing, - I know very little of poetry and despite a couple of attemps by professional teachers to get my ballroom dancing skills up to mediocre I still waltz like a flatfooted pengine - I didn't think the comment from one of the dance intuctors: You have a Popeye Swagger was particular encouraging.
 Ah well! You can't be good at everything?!!!
Just remembered: The Tower had a great grab a granny night but I was spoken for by that time.
Peg.
P.S. The snackbar did a great scampi and chips.

Snooks

« Reply #730 on: September 01, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
I went a few times to the Tower but never did any ballroom dancing..... We obviously went to a disco night there. Lovely place... we had fun. My favourite club when I was at school was The Ritz in Kings Heath. Resident band was the Blue Stars with singer Terry Hyland and guitarist Terry Mew, on the drums was Graham Hadley... can't remember the name of the other group member... But I saw a lot of great bands there - The Kinks, The Stones, The Marauders, The Merseys, Them, The Inbetweens, The Cheynes and more... The Cheynes split after that and drummer Mick Fleetwood formed Fleetwood Mac, Roger Peacock went to the Mark Leeman 5, Pete Bardens went to Them, Phil Sawyer became a successful session musician and Pete Hollis....lovely guy... not sure what happened to him. The Inbetweens were great and toured the world but 2 of the members formed Slade notably Dave Hill. They had some great music. Even though it took me 3 buses to get there it was well worth it. I used to go on a Friday and Sunday night - met some fantastic people there, too. Other clubs that hit the spot were The Rum Runner ( Duran Duran) The Opposite Lock - it wasn't always jazz - at least not when I went, Abigails and The Night Out amongst others. My much older brother always favoured The West End - with the bouncy floor. If I remember rightly the Tower had a sprung floor, too. Thanks for all your memories Peg Monkey. They are very entertaining to read!
Onwards and upwards!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #731 on: September 01, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
I went a few times to the Tower but never did any ballroom dancing..... We obviously went to a disco night there. Lovely place... we had fun. My favourite club when I was at school was The Ritz in Kings Heath. Resident band was the Blue Stars with singer Terry Hyland and guitarist Terry Mew, on the drums was Graham Hadley... can't remember the name of the other group member... But I saw a lot of great bands there - The Kinks, The Stones, The Marauders, The Merseys, Them, The Inbetweens, The Cheynes and more... The Cheynes split after that and drummer Mick Fleetwood formed Fleetwood Mac, Roger Peacock went to the Mark Leeman 5, Pete Bardens went to Them, Phil Sawyer became a successful session musician and Pete Hollis....lovely guy... not sure what happened to him. The Inbetweens were great and toured the world but 2 of the members formed Slade notably Dave Hill. They had some great music. Even though it took me 3 buses to get there it was well worth it. I used to go on a Friday and Sunday night - met some fantastic people there, too. Other clubs that hit the spot were The Rum Runner ( Duran Duran) The Opposite Lock - it wasn't always jazz - at least not when I went, Abigails and The Night Out amongst others. My much older brother always favoured The West End - with the bouncy floor. If I remember rightly the Tower had a sprung floor, too. Thanks for all your memories Peg Monkey. They are very entertaining to read!
Wow! Such illustrious names Snooks, you're leaving me for dead. My clubbing life started on the Erdington side of the world didn't know much about the Kings Heath side.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #732 on: September 01, 2018, 11:45:10 AM »
Fond memories of the past 19. The Cresta Caberet Club, Solihull. I was treated to a Christmas bash by a company selling stuff to my org. probably about late 70s, great venue for a meal and entertainment but there was a Gene Pitney tribute artist, more of an impersonator to be honest, Can't understand anyone paying good money for such as this when you can put a cd on and get the real thing.
Peg.

Snooks

« Reply #733 on: September 01, 2018, 05:33:53 PM »
Ah, Gene Pitney.... I always liked his music and voice. I saw him live many, many years ago. He was an absolute showman. I had a friend who was nuts about him and I went with her to keep her company and came away with a red rose and blown away by his performance. He used to give red roses to ladies in the audience. I became a true fan! So sad he's passed.
Onwards and upwards!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #734 on: September 01, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »
Ah, Gene Pitney.... I always liked his music and voice. I saw him live many, many years ago. He was an absolute showman. I had a friend who was nuts about him and I went with her to keep her company and came away with a red rose and blown away by his performance. He used to give red roses to ladies in the audience. I became a true fan! So sad he's passed.

Died aged 66 (far too young) in Cardiff 2006, at a gig I wonder?
Peg.
 :-[ :-[ :-[

Snooks

« Reply #735 on: September 01, 2018, 10:07:47 PM »
I know he was on tour at the time. Can't remember where - very sad.  :(
Onwards and upwards!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #736 on: September 02, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »
I know he was on tour at the time. Can't remember where - very sad.  :(
Some people are not destined to grow old.
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy