Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 303528 times)

Scipio

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #748 on: September 05, 2018, 08:19:03 PM »
Peg,
Don't be to hard on yourself. The women I am with now it is like dancing with a lump wood.      :(        ;)

Fred is it woman or women ?

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Peg Monkey

« Reply #749 on: September 05, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »

Fred is it woman or women ?
Very careful Fred you don't dig yourself into a hole!
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2018, 10:51:12 PM »
Fond memories of the past 21. La Reserve (Sutton Park). On paper this Theatre Restaurant (Like the Cresta in Solihull but not so grand) should have been, and continue to be, a raging success: Stunning location (accessed via the Park's Boldmere Gate and resting on the banks of the giant Powell's Pool with stunning views thereof) middle of an affluent area (wall to wall Sutton Coldfield well-heeled sorts) and offering a unique style of entertainment (meal and a variety show, probably the only one outside the city for counties, excepting The Cresta) but use it or lose it pressures prevailed.
My efforts to fill out this post with some dates have proved fruitless, my last visit (my best guess) was with my wife and her parents on a weekday late 70s, the place was barely a quarterful and I think it had been running on empty (in the week anyway) for sometime, weekends may have been different.
The venue gave way to progress and was purchased by one of the well known restaurant chains (may have been Harvester - but don't quote me) It's still operating as a Miller and Carter Steakhouse.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #751 on: September 05, 2018, 11:26:52 PM »
WOT A LEMON?! That's wot you'll be thinking at the end of this tale - I suppose it was 1968 when I was introduced to a good looking brunette from Burntwood (near Brownhills) by a mutual friend. I felt great with her on my arm - envy of all my mates. Anyway I'd got an old Ford 100e van in those days (bit of a lottery if the brakes worked or not) and I hadn't known her long when my van was out of action so I invited her to stay the weekend at my parents' flat on the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington arangements were made and I must have waited an hour at the station - no show. Communication was difficult then no mobile phones, hardly anybody had their own phone my parents didn't and neither did her's but she had a friendly neighbour who took messages.
We eventually get to speak, I'd only gone and told her the wrong station!!! Told Her Sutton Coldfield instead of Chester Road.
We did meet up, she was very good about the whole thing, that Saturday was cut a bit short so we stayed local that evening - Mothers, Erdington High St which was about 20mins walk from my parents' flat.
Peg.
P.S. I know what you are thinking why didn't he give her his address? - Do you know wot? I still ponder on that question today.
P.P.S. If Mrs Peg Monkey gets to read this I'm dead - the young lady wasn't Mrs Peg Monkey.

frederick

« Reply #752 on: September 06, 2018, 11:28:33 AM »
Peg,
I do say to women I dance with in front of my woman......well spotted.   ;)    She is like dancing with a lump of wood. Mine you I could do with some refresher lessons.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Grace

« Reply #753 on: November 02, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »

[/quoi remember the Shamrock club in the early 70s it was great! ]

Scipio

« Reply #754 on: November 02, 2018, 08:57:10 PM »

Grace welcome , I never went there did you ever go to The Ringway club
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #755 on: November 03, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
When was you in the Ringway Scipio? Who do you remember from your days there?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Mazcos1

« Reply #756 on: November 06, 2018, 05:01:28 PM »

Silverpearlpod

What was the Cavendish called before it became The Cavendish?  My friend used to go in the 70's but she couldn't remember it being called that.  I used to go to the Locarno on a Thursday night, I lived in Coventry then, and was dating a musician who played at both, I lived in Birmingham and the Black Country for 30 years, and moved back to my home in Coventry just 6 years ago.  I have great memories of the Club scene in Birmingham, Happy Days!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #757 on: November 06, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
Hi Mazcos1

I think the Cavendish Club at the Swan was called just that when it opened, it was later when it was renamed Bloomers.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #758 on: November 06, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »
When was you in the Ringway Scipio? Who do you remember from your days there?

Late 60's  Gay Barry Parker for one, I met a confused young lady by the name of Lorraine she was a lovely looking young lady a bit dizzy
at times . I used to go with a couple of mates Friday and Saturday nights once the 10.30 towels went on in the pubs in town . The whole aura of The Ringway was a magnet if you were into people watching as I was and still am . Some Saturday night Barry would bring his poodle, it was very funny seeing the girls scrambling to bring the dog back to Barry while he was dancing to see his reaction  , there were probably other names but with time the memory fades .
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy