Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302226 times)

townie

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #759 on: November 06, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »
Scipio Do you remember a blond girl who always hung around with Barry? I knew her very well but for the life of me can't remember her name.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

PhilipSw

« Reply #760 on: November 27, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
Hi Phil,

I was interested in you comment re: Bogarts.

"I remember Bogarts for the simple reason we had the contract to strip it out which I think was in the late 90's we stripped the ground floor and the first floor out back to its original condition but everything in the cellar was left as it was even the furniture and all the entrances were bricked up."

After the demise of Bogarts in 1981 the owner and manager converted Bogarts, with the Bier Keller area converted to The American Food Factory. When you did the renovation then surely it must have been this which was sealed up?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #761 on: November 27, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »
Hi Phil,

I was interested in you comment re: Bogarts.

"I remember Bogarts for the simple reason we had the contract to strip it out which I think was in the late 90's we stripped the ground floor and the first floor out back to its original condition but everything in the cellar was left as it was even the furniture and all the entrances were bricked up."

After the demise of Bogarts in 1981 the owner and manager converted Bogarts, with the Bier Keller area converted to The American Food Factory. When you did the renovation then surely it must have been this which was sealed up?

Hi PhilipSw

All I can tell you is that I retired in 2004 due to ill health and we had just been approached to price up the second phase of stripping out the rest of the building of which Bogarts only took up a small part of. Unfortunately we were in the process of closing down so even the offer of naming our own price couldn't entice us to take the job.  As I said in my original post as far as I can remember we must have carried out the original works around 2002 and later in fact than I first guessed at. When did the food factory close down?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #762 on: November 27, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
Scipio Do you remember a blond girl who always hung around with Barry? I knew her very well but for the life of me can't remember her name.

I knew one that was close to him her name was Lorraine , I don't know whether she was the one Townie . She was built like Twiggy, I had designs on her till she told me she had other tastes
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #763 on: November 28, 2018, 04:48:02 AM »

I knew one that was close to him her name was Lorraine , I don't know whether she was the one Townie . She was built like Twiggy, I had designs on her till she told me she had other tastes

No Scipio that's not the one I was thinking about. If I heard her name I would know it straight away. Not only that she was not on that bus although she probably dabbled.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Scipio

« Reply #764 on: November 30, 2018, 09:51:27 AM »

No Scipio that's not the one I was thinking about. If I heard her name I would know it straight away. Not only that she was not on that bus although she probably dabbled.

Those were rare old days those, I'm glad I experienced them. Townie when you analysed it night time in Brum in those days was like being in another world . The following day totally different till the sun went down ha ha , night time was as though you'd entered some sort of labyrinth with some rum old characters indeed
Mark Twain

Snooks

« Reply #765 on: November 30, 2018, 03:58:04 PM »
Birmingham night life with all the many and varied clubs was wonderful growing up. I LOVED it. We had a great time and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Onwards and upwards!

Scipio

« Reply #766 on: November 30, 2018, 08:21:41 PM »
Birmingham night life with all the many and varied clubs was wonderful growing up. I LOVED it. We had a great time and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Hear Hear Snooks , I echo your words
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #767 on: November 30, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »

Townie hears a question for you did yo ever frequent the Greek restaurant on Broad St . It was called The Cosmo , it had a disco upstairs till about 2.00Am. Only bottled beer was served, varied clientele there if you get my drift. Standing in the shadows in a blue two piece check number was what I thought a nice mature woman. I always had a penchant for the older woman in my younger days, so I invited the stunner to dance, he said in response not just yet thank you,what a catastrophe , I was stunned to say the least. I only went there on Saturday nights , it was one such night that Barry complete with white Fedora hat gave me a lift down to the Crown on Broad St, he was going to the Towrope I was going home as I lived in Brindley Drive back then

Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #768 on: November 30, 2018, 11:30:35 PM »
The kids of today don't know what it was like to enjoy the night life of Brum with no Drugs or such .So sad
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #769 on: December 01, 2018, 07:27:14 PM »
Scipio

I never knew there was a disco at the Cosmo, what year was this and was it licenced ?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy