Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302249 times)

Scipio

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #770 on: December 01, 2018, 08:24:09 PM »
Scipio

I never knew there was a disco at the Cosmo, what year was this and was it licenced ?

Phil it was upstairs on the first floor , the first Saturday night I went in there our friend Barry was downstairs in the cafe/restaurant call it what you will . To be honest Phil I'd put it on a par with the american speakeasy , had it got a licence I know not . After you'd had a couple of pints in the pubs around and about, as you know you tend to cast your fate to the wind. The years Phil would have been 69/70 , I got married in 1970 so I had to tow the line Ahem who said that , if you know what I mean
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #771 on: December 01, 2018, 08:30:54 PM »

Phil it was upstairs on the first floor , the first Saturday night I went in there our friend Barry was downstairs in the cafe/restaurant call it what you will . To be honest Phil I'd put it on a par with the american speakeasy , had it got a licence I know not . After you'd had a couple of pints in the pubs around and about, as you know you tend to cast your fate to the wind. The years Phil would have been 69/70 , I got married in 1970 so I had to tow the line Ahem who said that , if you know what I mean

Scipio

Perhaps this is why I didn't know of this place, because my clubbing days came to an end in 1968 due to the same reason as yourself. My wife didn't mind me staying out until the early hours as long as there wasn't much chance of meeting any young ladies. So being locked in at the local pub or working mans club was never a problem but night clubs were a no no.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #772 on: December 01, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »

Scipio

Perhaps this is why I didn't know of this place, because my clubbing days came to an end in 1968 due to the same reason as yourself. My wife didn't mind me staying out until the early hours as long as there wasn't much chance of meeting any young ladies. So being locked in at the local pub or working mans club was never a problem but night clubs were a no no.

Great old days Phil I loved every minute of them , given the chance I'd relive them all . I'm sure you would too
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #773 on: December 01, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
Scipio. No I never knew that one, the only ones I used on broad Street was the Tow Rope and Saints and Sinners which I think was up by Five Ways. Yes good old days Scipio never to be repeated. We will have to get some inventers together and come up with a time machine before its to late.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #774 on: December 01, 2018, 09:52:45 PM »

Great old days Phil I loved every minute of them , given the chance I'd relive them all . I'm sure you would too

Scipio

I had the time of my life until I was 21, Every summer for four years I spent on the south west coast and the winters in the clubs, pubs, spielers and shebeens of Birmingham
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #775 on: December 01, 2018, 10:03:45 PM »

Scipio

I had the time of my life until I was 21, Every summer for four years I spent on the south west coast and the winters in the clubs, pubs, spielers and shebeens of Birmingham

Good for you , what a great time to live , so you got to 21 and you were brought to heel same as me. Seems funny I was 21 in the August of 1970 and I too was brought to heel god bless her
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #776 on: December 01, 2018, 11:20:30 PM »
You were to young .It was good in the 60s
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Scipio

« Reply #777 on: December 02, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »
Scipio. No I never knew that one, the only ones I used on broad Street was the Tow Rope and Saints and Sinners which I think was up by Five Ways. Yes good old days Scipio never to be repeated. We will have to get some inventers together and come up with a time machine before its to late.

Good idea Townie
Mark Twain

ChrisH

« Reply #778 on: December 16, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
Hi guys, I was one of the DJs at the Oxford Club in Moseley from 1975 to 1983 when the owner, John Swani, sold the club. It was also a hotel and had a small restaurant. The nights I did there were Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. At the time out was the only place that allowed reggae to be played! We had as customers some of UB40 as their studio was not far away.

Snooks

« Reply #779 on: December 16, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
I LOVED that era.... very happy days and memories. I was in Drama School in Brum and I, too, would relive all those times in a heartbeat! So all you scientists out there get that time machine invented!
Onwards and upwards!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #780 on: December 16, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Hi ChrisH

Welcome to you, I used the Oxford club on occasion, but I have to be honest I wasn't that keen on the place, It was much too dark in there for my liking. You couldn't see who you were chatting up until you got outside.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy