Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302195 times)

ChrisH

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #781 on: December 16, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
Hi Phil, so true. I couldn't see the women who chatted me up! But the club was very popular. Before I became a DJ there I used to belong to it in the early 1970s just after it converted from being a live Jazz Club. I had some good times there!

townie

« Reply #782 on: December 16, 2018, 09:08:42 PM »
Hi guys, I was one of the DJs at the Oxford Club in Moseley from 1975 to 1983 when the owner, John Swani, sold the club. It was also a hotel and had a small restaurant. The nights I did there were Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. At the time out was the only place that allowed reggae to be played! We had as customers some of UB40 as their studio was not far away.

I think you will find that reggae was played long before 75 in clubs up the Soho Road.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #783 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »
ChrisH

I can't remember if I have put this photo of the Oxford Club up before, but it won't hurt to put it up again and it will save me searching through the thread. The other thing was I listened to Prince Buster and many other reggae, ska & bluebeat artists in the coffee bars and shebeens of Balsall Heath in the 60's I didn't go in for many licensed clubs in the early 60's as I looked much too young then even though I was nearly old enough.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #784 on: December 18, 2018, 09:41:42 PM »
ChrisH

I can't remember if I have put this photo of the Oxford Club up before, but it won't hurt to put it up again and it will save me searching through the thread. The other thing was I listened to Prince Buster and many other reggae, ska & bluebeat artists in the coffee bars and shebeens of Balsall Heath in the 60's I didn't go in for many licensed clubs in the early 60's as I looked much too young then even though I was nearly old enough.

I'm with you there Phil was it The Ringway among others that played Al Capone, The Ten Commandments , by Prince Buster
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #785 on: December 18, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »

I'm with you there Phil was it The Ringway among others that played Al Capone, The Ten Commandments , by Prince Buster

It's very possible as he was becoming very mainstream towards the mid 60's, but if I'm honest most nights when I rolled out of the Ringway they could have been playing Strauss waltzes all night for what I knew.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #786 on: December 19, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
Chris H. The Ringway definitely played reggae in the early 70s and although not a night club the Mexicarno played reggae all night long, that is as long as you fed the juke box. I know that I was there.

townie

« Reply #787 on: December 28, 2018, 10:54:27 PM »

I knew one that was close to him her name was Lorraine , I don't know whether she was the one Townie . She was built like Twiggy, I had designs on her till she told me she had other tastes

Scipio I have been thinking for a couple of days and I think the blonde girl was called Vicky but I may be wrong it was a long time ago. I'll keep thinking. She certainly wasn't built like twiggy.

PhilipSw

« Reply #788 on: February 04, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »
Members may be interested in my recent short history of Bogarts 1971 to 1981. Available on Amazon as an eBook or print version. Search for Bogarts: 68 New Street

Scipio

« Reply #789 on: February 16, 2019, 09:49:29 PM »
I went a few times to the Tower but never did any ballroom dancing..... We obviously went to a disco night there. Lovely place... we had fun. My favourite club when I was at school was The Ritz in Kings Heath. Resident band was the Blue Stars with singer Terry Hyland and guitarist Terry Mew, on the drums was Graham Hadley... can't remember the name of the other group member... But I saw a lot of great bands there - The Kinks, The Stones, The Marauders, The Merseys, Them, The Inbetweens, The Cheynes and more... The Cheynes split after that and drummer Mick Fleetwood formed Fleetwood Mac, Roger Peacock went to the Mark Leeman 5, Pete Bardens went to Them, Phil Sawyer became a successful session musician and Pete Hollis....lovely guy... not sure what happened to him. The Inbetweens were great and toured the world but 2 of the members formed Slade notably Dave Hill. They had some great music. Even though it took me 3 buses to get there it was well worth it. I used to go on a Friday and Sunday night - met some fantastic people there, too. Other clubs that hit the spot were The Rum Runner ( Duran Duran) The Opposite Lock - it wasn't always jazz - at least not when I went, Abigails and The Night Out amongst others. My much older brother always favoured The West End - with the bouncy floor. If I remember rightly the Tower had a sprung floor, too. Thanks for all your memories Peg Monkey. They are very entertaining to read!

Snooks I remember the West Ends floor I walked around it enough times to eye the ladies in the 60's . I only went to the Tower once for a Christmas do
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #790 on: February 16, 2019, 11:34:35 PM »
St Jameses New Street
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Snooks

« Reply #791 on: February 17, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
Hi Scipio I can just imagine that. My older brother and his girlfriend - now wife always went there. It was their favourite club.

Ed... Sorry I don't remember St. James' in New Street. Whereabouts was it? Near the Cinema? Or Long John's Pancake House... Who remembers that place?
Onwards and upwards!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy