Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302213 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
I'd finished the first part of my engineering course at Erdington Tech by 1967 and for the second part I attended Aston Tech, my heart sank when I learned my course was all day and evening on a Thursday - my grab a granny night at the Top Rank, I had no car then but  thankfully a good mate from work came to my rescue, he collected me from the college and we were boogying by around 8.30pm.
Peg.
P.S. Aston Tech ultimately became Birmingham City University, link:
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14299.msg683735#msg683735
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

townie

« Reply #793 on: March 21, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
Peg That's one club I never set foot in.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #794 on: March 27, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »
Club Cedar (Snow Hill) - Scott Walker: My wife was traumatised at the news Scott Walker had died, aged 76. Her heart throb since before her teens she saw him live at the Club Cedar in the 1960s, he was late appearing on stage but delivered a stellar performance from start to finish.
Peg.
 :-[ :-[ :-[
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

DonKibbles

« Reply #795 on: May 25, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
Hello there, was it Peppermint Place. Early 80's club by Five Ways. A bit later in the 80's by the World of Leather there was a club called Burberry's. Hope that helps.

Davinalloyd

« Reply #796 on: July 09, 2020, 10:27:17 PM »
My mum & dad ran the oxford for John Swani. I spent most of the first 2 years of my life there. I was born in 76.

Davinalloyd

« Reply #797 on: July 09, 2020, 10:28:45 PM »
Hi guys, I was one of the DJs at the Oxford Club in Moseley from 1975 to 1983 when the owner, John Swani, sold the club. It was also a hotel and had a small restaurant. The nights I did there were Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. At the time out was the only place that allowed reggae to be played! We had as customers some of UB40 as their studio was not far away.

My mum & dad ran the oxford for John Swani. I spent most of the first 2 years of my life there. I was born in 76.

Scipio

« Reply #798 on: July 10, 2020, 07:03:29 PM »
Club Cedar (Snow Hill) - Scott Walker: My wife was traumatised at the news Scott Walker had died, aged 76. Her heart throb since before her teens she saw him live at the Club Cedar in the 1960s, he was late appearing on stage but delivered a stellar performance from start to finish.
Peg.
 :-[ :-[ :-[

My wife saw The Walker Bros in the 60's at the Odeon New St , there was a lot of screaming at one stage of their performance and good old Scott made an announcement to the audience to the effect if the screaming did'nt stop he would stop the performance it did quieten down .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

LadyJai

« Reply #799 on: October 06, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »
My clubbing days were later than most of you (mid 80's), but oh, how I enjoyed them.

Living in Bearwood at the time, we would start off at the [censored] & Maggies or the Basshouse, now the Amber Tavern, jump on the first bus that turned up, usually the number 9 to New Street, pop into either Cagneys or Le Pub for a hour, then walk down Stephenson Street to our second home Sam Wellers, we practically lived in there on Thursday, Friday and Sunday nights. Celebrated my 21st in there in 1987, I was so, so drunk. We would stand by the dj .booth and the dj (think his name was John), would always say to us why don't you just bring your beds here, then he would play Respectable by Mel & Kim for us.

We'd decide which club we fancied going to when Sam's shut at 11, normally Faces at Five Ways, sometimes we'd go to Millionaires or Pagoda Park (now Snobs), where you needed a map to get back to your friends!

When I got a car, I gave up drinking and would park in the Navigation Street car park.

I especially remember Super Prix weekends when Millionaires got a extended licence and if I remember rightly stayed open until 4am. We would always go there that Saturday night, get a burger from a burger van on Hill Street and walk back to the car, ears buzzing, feet killing, but happy.

Other clubs I remember from that era were

The Powerhouse never very keen on this one, always felt slightly on edge
The Dome, huge, a bit impersonal, but fantastic light show
Tressines on Newhall Street
Peppermint Place the top of Broad Street (first club I ever went in at 17), tiny dance floor
The Nightingale with my gay friends, fantastic night out, great light show and good music.

Rasputin

« Reply #800 on: October 13, 2020, 01:19:38 PM »
I used to go in the mid 60s to a club called The Garden of Eden which then became The Pink Elephant followed by The Ringway downstairs was a regular bar upstairs was Dancing gambling and a very small restaraunt.I am sure at one time it was owned by Philip Hanley and Brendan Joyce.

Scipio

« Reply #801 on: October 13, 2020, 06:15:36 PM »
I used to go in the mid 60s to a club called The Garden of Eden which then became The Pink Elephant followed by The Ringway downstairs was a regular bar upstairs was Dancing gambling and a very small restaraunt.I am sure at one time it was owned by Philip Hanley and Brendan Joyce.

Welcome Rasputin I hope you enjoy the forum , I frequented The Ringway every Friday night with a mate of mine , mid-late 60's
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Johnny Didco

« Reply #802 on: February 07, 2021, 03:35:37 PM »
Hiya Sherman
I went to Bogerts Bier Keller from about 1974. Till about 1978, me and my friends used it as a pub met in there then go on to a Club, loved the umpa Band and Lenny who did the sing along on his Banjo, on a Friday they had a DJ for an hour where Bunny Larkin would play all the sing along song hi ho silver lining and bachelor boy,I actually was a glass collector in the week, great fun and got paid for , I can’t think of the owners name, I can see them in my minds eye but can’t put a name to them we knew all the barmaids and guys and all the Doormen, because went so often saturdays Xmas New year we got straight in to the discussed of all in the long queue, loved it there

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy