Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302189 times)

sheldonboy

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
Bernie
 Just a suggestion. If you go to search on Google maybe, Enter Robert Plant and access the wikipedia site There is a pile of stuff on your man. How does Hobbstweedle grab you.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

ynot14

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
sheldonboy
I worked for the Fewtrells and got called into Pollyanna's now and then to work on the door with John and Ash this would be 1972/75 and as we were not allowed to drink during working hours we used to go down The Cedar for a few after work so I may have been thinking behind doors after shutdown. Mind you that was many many pints ago and about three detox's...lol

sheldonboy

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »
Ynot
Yes the 70s were good days (and nights). Don't forget it was before the days of strong beers and all day drinking, so most people were reasonably well behaved and were just out for a good time. The night clubs of the 70s were probably as good as they come. The Cedar actually gave us FREE curry and rice on a couple of occasions.

berniew

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »
Sheldonboy I remember hobbstweedle but they were after the Band of Joy this was before I think ,I always liked Robert Plant and I have looked on various sites but the Good Egg has never been mentioned  .I think I will have to put it down to age   Bernie

sheldonboy

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »
Never say never mate we will keep looking

berniew

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »
My lad came in a couple of months ago he had got me a Plant cd Raising Sand a flipping contry album with Alison Krauss just my luck  Bernie

sheldonboy

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2009, 06:00:27 AM »
Just for you Bernie
 When I used to live at 'Mothers' High Street Erdington, There was an old piano on the floor at the side of the stage. It was a fairly quiet night and I was sitting on this piano with a long haired lad (mind you we all were) he wore an RAF greatcoat just like mine. and we chatted until the band came on. On stage that Night was Terry Reid.
 After a while Tery looked in our direction and said bloody hell Percy's in, come an give us a jam Perce. So this bloke jumped down off the piano got on stage  for a couple of numbers, he was phenominal.  Another lad had joined me by this time and I asked if he knew him, He said don't you know that's Robert Plant. I said he's good he should be in a band.  I had already seen Zepps then.

frederick

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
Ynot,
a brother of mine spent his time with the Fewtrells one of his jobs was to drive bomber Roach home after he had to much to drink.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

ynot14

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
Bloody Hell frederick...poor old Pat "Bomber"Roach used to spend a lot of time up at Barbarella's with Don and if they were in Brum The Fortunes. They could also be found up at The Dirty Duck on the Hagley Road. Who was your bother? you never know it may be a small world.

I only got drafted into the clubs now and again as I worked on their car-lot's at Ozzell's Street and on The Ladywood Middleway (by the old engine sheds), now and again word got around that there was likely to be something kick off so I got asked to do a shift. They were great as I had been a naughty boy, me and copper and his truncheon got involved in a set to and his truncheon jumped into my hand and proceeded to hit him with it. I was 17 and first offence and got three years, never been back. They were the only ones to offer me work so I took it.

I only regret two and half years missed bozzing really ::)

frederick

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
Ynot,
his name is Bob Hodgkins he is now 69 years old as i was Adopted i met him for the first time last August and we get on just fine Cristmas and birthday cards.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

berniew

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:28 PM »
Sheldonboy next time you meet him ask him to list all his bands and why country music Bernie

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy