Author Topic: Clubs of the 60's and 70's  (Read 302254 times)

ynot14

Re: Clubs of the 60's and 70's
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »
Cheers Phil, I got La Dolce Vita now. I would of remembered it on my  odd visits to the Locarno.
Tony

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2009, 01:19:33 PM »
Astwood

I used to play cards at the illegal places around Balsall Heath, mostly above or behind the coffee bars. One in Edward Rd, one in Cox St West and one on Bordesley Green Rd did you ever get in any of those?

A lot of these cafe's were just fronts for illegal drinkers or gambling dens.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2009, 03:00:43 PM »
Astwood

You would have know King the bounc..... sorry doorman at the Cascade then?
What a size that man was, or was it just me being small and 3 sheets to the wind whenever I saw him.

I remember the whole club cascading into the street one day, luckily it was during the day. I think it was safe to say that was the last of the Cascade club. I was rather miffed because I used to use the curry house under the club.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astwood

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »
Astwood

I used to play cards at the illegal places around Balsall Heath, mostly above or behind the coffee bars. One in Edward Rd, one in Cox St West and one on Bordesley Green Rd did you ever get in any of those?

A lot of these cafe's were just fronts for illegal drinkers or gambling dens.

Phil
I never played cards round there but iwent to the cannon my mate was a barman there

astwood

« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »
Astwood

You would have know King the bounc..... sorry doorman at the Cascade then?
What a size that man was, or was it just me being small and 3 sheets to the wind whenever I saw him.

I remember the whole club cascading into the street one day, luckily it was during the day. I think it was safe to say that was the last of the Cascade club. I was rather miffed because I used to use the curry house under the club.

Phil
I cant remember king offhand i was probley to involved looking for birds and drinking

Silverpearlpod

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »
Phil, sheldonboy,
I can see La Dolce Vita but cannot see the location and although I cannot remember going in there I was always going past it..still can't place it. Please put my mind out of it's turmoil.
Tony

Silverpearlpod

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2009, 04:49:13 PM »
La Dolce Vita was on the left corner of Smallbrook Ringway and Hurst St, making it almost opposite the old Locarno. From outside the Dolce, if you looked over to the right, was the Albany Hotel. Sean

sheldonboy

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2009, 07:14:57 PM »
Hi ynot
La Dolce Vita location, you know where The Albany is  ( Holiday Inn as it is now ). If you go from Hill Street over to Hurst Street, La Dolce Vita was the first building on the corner on left hand side, opposite The Lacarno. Hope that helps.    SB

Just noticed Silverpearlpod beat me to it , Well done S/pod
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

ynot14

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
Thanks all, I know where it was now...probably out my brain most of the times I went past.

Sheldonboy, The Albany well I came around the corner of there in about 1974 with an artic fully loaded and was faced with a load of screaming guirls in the road in stupid tartan jeans and Roller scarves. I have never left so much white smoke from tyres in my entire driving years...God they all **** themselves along with me and the police. I guess a certain Scottish boy band were staying there.
Tony

sheldonboy

« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2009, 09:07:49 PM »
It was Billy Connolly and The Connollyetts
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Silverpearlpod

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
Ynot
 I used to frequent Club Cedar fairly often in the early 70s but I never had an invitation. Maybe that was on certain night's I don't know. One band I remember from there was the Graham Gallery Trio. I remember the because Graham Gallery used to drink in the Albany when I worked there in 1971.
 Also just a short distance away from Cedar was a cafe called the Surfside Stop. next door to this cafe was another club who's name escapes me but we went up to it in a lift. The interior I remember was done out like caves. This would have been around 1967 ish.
The club was called the Penthouse and the lift was fur lined. Sean

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy