Author Topic: Moor End Lane School Erdington  (Read 53202 times)

Mogmeister

Moor End Lane School Erdington
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
Hi
Does anybody remember Moor End School Lane in Erdington , i left there in 1964 , i have many memories of the school , with the science master Mr Moore and " Nothing "and my final master Mr hector 4T .If anybody has any memories or photos it would be great.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Moor End Lane School Erdington
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
Hi Mogmeister

Can't help you out with any memories or photos of the school. In fact if I am honest I will admit I don't even know where the school is or was. I do however have a copy of a photo taken in1962 of a school trip to London. There may be somebody you recognise.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pigbin

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
Hi mogmeister,

I left Moor end in `64  aged 15.I remember those old teachers as well.Especially Mr Sharret,the PE teacher.I had the cane off him a few times i can tell you!!
Do you remember Mr Lavender,Mrs Lamb,Mr Took and Mr Edwards the headmaster?
I can't remember some of the other teachers names, I went through school in the B Classes.
I well remember Mr Moore and his lump of 2x2 named nothing.
I remember the so called woodwork teacher, I can't recall his name, but i know he was welsh. He was useless, all he talked about was religion.In 4 years of his lessons all i made was a tea tray and a pair of bookends!

Mogmeister

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
Hi Pigbin ,
Yep i remember all of those names , as well as George Marshbanks ( Spud )and was it Mr Took who had the trick with the thick and thin cane , which ever one you opted for you always got the other.Must admit though Mr Moore was my favorite in between trying to blow us up , soak us or fry us with his induction coil he certainly had our attention.These days he would have all of the do gooders round his neck , having a right whinge.

Boz

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
Hi, I left Moor End in 1951, so a bit before you other guys, but I recall Mr Simmons the woodwork teacher who was Welsh and a teacher named Marchbanks who picked on lad in our class named Munday, who punched him. Quite a to do at the time. The Head was a Mr Taylor.

The other teacher I really recall is Mr Bradbury, disciplinarian but a good teacher with a sense of humour, even though he gave me the cane for carving my name in a desk the week I was leaving and getting me to plane it out in Simmons workshop.

I was disappointed when looking on Google to see the school has gone, but sign of the times I suppose.

SheilaD

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »
Hi Phil
I am a new member to this site and was surprised to see your photo of the trip to London as I and my husband are both in this picture - it was a trip to the Houses of Parliament as part of our education.  It was in the summer of 1962, my last year at the school and was actually printed in either the Birmingham Mail or the Erdington News local paper.  Did you go to Moor End School?
SheilaD

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
Hi Sheila,

and anybody else on this thread that I haven't greeted, welcome to the forum. Sheila in answer to your question, no I didn't go to Moor End Lane school. The image is just one of many I have collected over the years. I could have got it from absolutely anywhere even The Evening Mail if they reprinted it at sometime.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alan coldicott

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »
Hi
Does anybody remember Moor End School Lane in Erdington , i left there in 1964 , i have many memories of the school , with the science master Mr Moore and " Nothing "and my final master Mr hector 4T .If anybody has any memories or photos it would be great.

alan coldicott

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
Hi Mogmeister   -   I am 80 next month so this is the first time I have posted anything !!! Iused to live at 212 Holly Lane just round the corner from Moor End Lane where I started school. It was war time and there used to be parraffin burners along the whole of the road to create a smoke screen against German Bombers.  I would arrive home with soot all over my face. I joined the Cubs at the school but cant remember any teachers names etc. My brother Colin was also at the school. I left when  I got a scholarship to Sir Josiah Masons Orphanage just up the road.  Our major very competative hobby at that time was collecting "shrapnell" after a night air raid to see who could get the best prized shell fragments.  I particularly remember watching a dog-fight between fighter planes from the top railings that separated us from the allotments.  I got that excited that somehow I got my head trapped between two railings and had to be rescued by a teacher .In 1940/41 as a family we were all evacuated to Honeybourne near Evesham , but returned in 1942 to allowme to take up a scholarship at KEGS Aston. All a long time ago !!!  But it may help you  Good luck  Alan Coldicott

Mogmeister

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »
Hi Alan ,
I used to live on the Lyndhurst Estate , we moved there in 1959 i used to walk down Holly Lane to get to school , when i left school, i worked at the Coop at the Yenton .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »
Hi Alan,

I didn't see your post here, I must have missed it, let me belatedly welcome you to the forum and say even though it might be your first post we hope it won't be your last.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy