Author Topic: Moor End Lane School Erdington  (Read 53206 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Moor End Lane School Erdington
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »
Hi Keith Sheen,

You made your comments " i also went to moor end lane between 60-64" on this thread in the "Report to Moderator" box.

When to want to reply to anything you need to click on the "reply" button and put your comments in the reply box and then click the "post" button.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

keith sheen

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 07:58:13 PM »
my name is keith sheen i was at moor end lane from 1960 to 1964, if my name rings a bell with anyone it would be very nice if you got in touch

Kristeen

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2013, 01:51:55 AM »
Hi, I'm a nubie
 just joined, I went to Moor end school, loved it loved my form teacher mr. Wager he was the best teacher there. We would always distract him from his lesson, and hear stories about him. Mr Moore was a good teacher too, but scared all the girls, many time there was a girl outside scared to enter the classroom cause he shouted, and banged a heavy chair leg on the desk if we misbehaved, but we sat up and
 listened to him. I got good results in his class, !  I left 1969. Best school ever !!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2013, 09:58:53 AM »
Hi Kristeen & Keith,

Welcome to both of you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Cher

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
Hi!
Did anyone here attend Moor End between 1964-1968? I have loads of memories of that time and have come across a few old classmates over the years. Fave teacher was Mr Moore (science) and loved "wagger" Mr Wager (geography). Miss Fallon was a great teacher (but she scared me!) When I started there the lovely Mr Taylor was still Head and he instilled in me a love for classical music which has remained with me throughout my life. He was followed by Mr Derry, whom I'm sorry to say I couldn't stand! My half-brother attended the school several years before me so he would have been there in the late 50s. The surname Pierre might hopefully ring a bell with someone?
Cheers  :)

Cher

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
Reading back over the posts I thought I would gabble on a bit more LoL!
I too remember Mr Moore's talks about his naval years, I think it was in Portsmouth. He used to keep a big box of wooden rulers on his desk and if he really lost his temper he would throw the whole lot at us and we would have to scrabble to pick them all up pronto or get detention!! We had a new teacher start, a petite little 60s beauty (for French I think) and he followed around at her heels like a puppy!
Mr Wager, I remember he had a big trunk that was filled with all kinds of weird and wonderful things from all over the world which totally enthralled me! It was soooo easy to get out of doing any work in his class, all we did was say something like "Sir, what was it like when you were in the Desert Rats?" and away he would go, reminiscing, and we would pass notes and shoot chewed up blotting paper at each other until the bell went!!
Miss Caldicott, she was a tyrant, she only had to glare and you would shrivel under the gaze. "Aunty Fallon " seemed like the sugarplum fairy in comparison! Miss F showed me up more than once in front of the class because I couldn't act for toffee, but she taught me so well that I ended up taking the old RSA in English and past at advanced level! I think it was Mr Edwards we had for Maths, and I remember Mr Lavender; he would use the slipper on the boys - with a lump of rock-hard plasticine in the toe! That must have hurt! But if we had teachers like them nowadays they wouldn't be needing to hand out ASBOs like sweeties!
Classmates included Jane Scott (Diane's younger sister I believe), Irene Smith, Andy Duthie, Grace ?, Susan Shaw, Valrose ?, Hugh Tulloch, "H", Philip ?, Michael ?, and my first boyfriend Gary Balding (but he was in the B stream and I was in the A stream). There was a Billy Glock - maybe Jeff's brother and a Frank Connor. Marilyn Latusek, David Hughes, Richard Webb (who was also my nextdoor neighbour!) Denise Raybould... but right now the others escape my memory. I recall the long walks to the Playing Fields, the Swimming Baths and the Library, etc (apart from the actual trek to and from school!) and two trips; one to London where we travelled up the Thames in a boat to see the Bloody Tower (and I got a bad nose bleed LoL!) and another to Blakesley Hall, Yardley.
I lived on the Lyndhurst Estate; Rowden Drive and then Beechmount Drive - sadly, like the old school itself, my home their was demolished. I used to go to Erdington Friendship Hall, the Carlton...and then Mothers, and I worked at the Yenton Garage - on the pumps!!
They were wonderfully happy days and it's memories like those that keep me warm through the cold and lonely days of getting old.  :(

j hollywood

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
i went to moorend lane school from 1950 to 54. then left when i was 15, ,[while at school i was a delivery boy on a bike for george masons ,grocers in erdington high st , , also got called up to do my national service  in the army ,i do have some pictures of the old school i will try and put on here ,jim

garb

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
ye s its me balding  if it rings a bell give me a shout ;)

Margie Slabber

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »
I left Moore End in 1970, would love to find some old friends.  My maiden name is Margaret Hunt.  My friends were Louise, Lindsay, Sandra, Gail, and I am sure some more that I cant remember.  I will find some photographs and post them.

roystonp123

« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »
hello i was born in 1944 in handsworth but i lived in mona road (5) from 1955 onwards i left moor end lane school in 1960.i remember mr moore science,i remember the explosion in the lab broke the window ..i remember mr marchbanks mr lavender i think lady pe teacher but can,t remember her name.i think headmaster was mr edwards i think.there was a boy there named wildblood.there were two boys who were twins also a boy named john wayne his brother was killed on a motor bike.also a boy named johnny briggs.a boy named ivor applin.arther beecham..if i rememeber anymore i,ll let you know.justin haywood went to the school down the road can,t think of the name of the school.i think a lot of the moody blues boys went there.i went to a house in wheelwright road where i played drums while others played guitars.i don ,t know if thay became the moodys...any way i,ll let you work on this cheeers

pwren

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »
Hi Linda
I was at the canal hostel from about 1953 to 55, when I was 5 years old. I didn't like it much!
Peter

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy