Author Topic: Moor End Lane School Erdington  (Read 53197 times)

Philip T

Re: Moor End Lane School Erdington
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »
     I know this is a reply to my own message.

But I just need to say that Ms Fallen was a beast.  She smacked me more times than my mother did.  In the early days I wore shorts and she used to pull them UP and smack my back leg like it was a thing that had to be destroyed.  I don’t think it would be acceptable nowadays.

But I probably deserved it?.

Stay safe.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
Hi Philip

Welcome to you, don't worry you are not being ignored and somebody with an interest in Moor End Lane School will probably get around to answering you. The trouble being that most of the members with an interest in Moor End are newish members and are not yet regular visitors to the forum. In the meantime whilst waiting for a reply why not join in somewhere else?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baird

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2015, 11:07:33 AM »
Hi, I went to Moor End Lane between 1962-1966 remember miss Fallon English and I was in the B classes, Is there anyone who was there at that time.I used to live in Doreen Grove Erdington does this ring a bell,
Hi Phil
I am a new member to this site and was surprised to see your photo of the trip to London as I and my husband are both in this picture - it was a trip to the Houses of Parliament as part of our education.  It was in the summer of 1962, my last year at the school and was actually printed in either the Birmingham Mail or the Erdington News local paper.  Did you go to Moor End School?
SheilaD

trucker46

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
Hi all,
As an old pupil at Moor End Lane School,
1957untill1961 l remember Mr. Moore the science teacher and Mr. Symonds who taught  woodwork, also Mr. Lavender who taught English -who subsequently went on to marry Ms Jones. Also Mr. Took who taught art. The list is endless and i could probably fill a  page! I'd be interested to here off anyone who went there.
 Trucker 46

lynda c

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »
There is a Facebook page with some photos and memorabilia if. Any one would like to look

flocdr

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
I attended Moor End Lane from 1940 to 1947 after moving from Ellesmere, Salop to B/ham. We lived at 74 Holly Lane. After that I went to KEGS Aston, B/ham University and finally King's College, Durham University for a PhD. Then, since I couldn't find a job in the UK I emigrated to the USA  to teach at the University of California at Berkeley. I retired after 40 years on the faculty and continue to live here. I will be 80 this year. The people I remember well are the Headmistress Miss Hunt and a good friend Johnny Harvey who also lived on Holly Lane. Like some others who have posted on this site I remember the war well-the shell collecting activities, the air raid shelters, the Home Guard next door who felt my Mother's wrath for doing their smoke screen testing on Monday morning when her wash was out on the line, the water tank for fire-fighting on the roundabout at Holly Lane and Orphanage Rd, the VE and VJ day picnics, the gas lights on the street, the bike path that was crowded with riders heading to and coming from Dunlops in the morning and evening, etc, etc.

Boz

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
I attended Moor End Lane from 1940 to 1947 after moving from Ellesmere, Salop to B/ham. We lived at 74 Holly Lane. After that I went to KEGS Aston, B/ham University and finally King's College, Durham University for a PhD. Then, since I couldn't find a job in the UK I emigrated to the USA  to teach at the University of California at Berkeley. I retired after 40 years on the faculty and continue to live here. I will be 80 this year. The people I remember well are the Headmistress Miss Hunt and a good friend Johnny Harvey who also lived on Holly Lane. Like some others who have posted on this site I remember the war well-the shell collecting activities, the air raid shelters, the Home Guard next door who felt my Mother's wrath for doing their smoke screen testing on Monday morning when her wash was out on the line, the water tank for fire-fighting on the roundabout at Holly Lane and Orphanage Rd, the VE and VJ day picnics, the gas lights on the street, the bike path that was crowded with riders heading to and coming from Dunlops in the morning and evening, etc, etc.

I also went to Moor End until 1951 when I left at 15 so a year younger than yourself. Mr Taylor was headmaster of the secondary modern when I was there.
We lived a bit lower down Holly Lane at 197 until 1949, but I remember the Harvey family and I think the Millichaps who ran a small shop in Holly Lane.

Marcus b

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2015, 05:37:35 PM »
Hi,
 just been shown this Forum by my pal who was in the the year in front of me.  I remember several faces from the past, Phillip Wooton, Stephen Mold, Mike Williams, Gordon Harris and David Nicholls to name but a few.
Mr Taylor introduced me to Classical music and the never ending saga between the Navy ( Mr Moore) & Army (Mr Derry). Great fun hearing who was the best at Gunnery! Mr Wager and the Desert Rats and later, Mr Bryan the music teacher.
Mark Ball. :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2015, 07:05:10 PM »
Hi Sheila,

I'm afraid the post you made to the Moor End Lane School thread was made in the wrong place consequently it is unable to appear on the forum. You have to make sure that you click on the reply button then when the text box appears type in your reply then when you are finished.
click the post button then your post will appear.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Kath rose

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:56 PM »
Hi Drewsteve

I went to Moor End Lane and well remember the trip to Belbroughton especially the first night, I got caught doing something wrong and had to write out lines which meant i missed the film.  I was the Cruel Sea, a war film.

I was also in Midsummer nights dream. Some of us were chosen for one of the morning assemblys to read some of the lines we had in the play.  I remember getting half way up the stage stairs then tripping over, the whole place laughed but as i was playing a funny part in the play i decided to add some of my own humour to the role.

I had the cane of Mr Taylor i well remember.  A group of us decided to fall over when we had to stand up to sing a hymn, 3 or 4 got the cane and i thought i had got away with it but they come and dragged me out of the classroom.

Mr Moor was a favourite of mine, he and his 2 x 4.
[/quote

We must have been in the same year. I was n Miss Fallows class and was understudy for Titania.

Kath rose

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2016, 11:45:15 PM »
Hi
Does anybody remember Moor End School Lane in Erdington , i left there in 1964 , i have many memories of the school , with the science master Mr Moore and " Nothing "and my final master Mr hector 4T .If anybody has any memories or photos it would be great.
I was there 1960/1964

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy