Author Topic: Bull Ring Photos  (Read 176106 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Bull Ring Photos
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
In the mid to late 1700's William Hutton would have had no opinion to offer on the Bull Ring as it didn't exist in the form that it does today.

He was remarking on the ingenuity an ability of the people of Birmingham, and so was I, but I won't deny that I was a fan of the 60's Bull Ring for all its failings.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peter brummy

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 04:32:21 PM »
A lot of people did like the old Bull Ring but not enough that's all. People disliked it's stark dull concrete finish, besides other things, enough to make the place unviable very quickly.

It lasted just forty years, but really by 1977, after just fifteen years, the writing was on the wall and a replacement was called for. It died a slow horrible death. It was dying for 25 years for one reason or another.

By comparison the new one is better but, the first one had all the magic, naturalness and real streetscapes that made it feel just right.

The photo of the old and new Woolworths side by side should have told them something, as it speaks volumns. The old Woolworths with it's canopy blinds is a far superior building in everyway.

Here's another pic showing a restricted view of St Martin's and, one showing a proposed brand new building superimposed in the background, beside St Martin's.

I wonder how long this new one will last?   

tramp

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »
Hi peter brummy,

Well done - excellent pictures - they give a feel to the environment created by the new BR....and what may be added to it.

I agree 100% with your comment about Woolworth's sun blinds...like all everywhere they were 'part of the furniture' but never more so than at Woolies in the old BR.  I'd never before known that both FW Woos.. stood together. 

Do you know what became of the original one?

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
A few more photos of the 60's Bull Ring. For all its concrete it had more green spaces and areas than this new design has. And it was copied by many more cities than this new version will ever be.

Other cities (the ones that failed to modernise and limped through to the 80's) may go on about Birmingham and its concrete collar. But I don't see any of the cities and towns that copied us saying much.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maggiefluff

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
I remember walking through the gardens with my mom and aunt when I was a little girl, I thought it was lovely there, thanks for posting them peter.

IS THAT WHERE KING KONG USED TO STAND?

mal 565

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
I think it was, can't be sure though I'm sure someone will know.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 09:15:26 PM »
Mal & Maggie

I was sure I had posted this on here, but if I had I can't find it.

The Ballad of King Kong.

In the early 1972 The Peter Stuyvesant Foundation commissioned Nicholas Munroe to design a statue of King Kong the giant ape of movie fame from 1933. This being a commission for The City of Birmingham Sculpture Project.

On completion it was displayed to the public in Manzoni Gardens at the back of the Bull Ring for some six months, but after the original sponsorship ran out the City with its usual courage of conviction couldn't’ get rid of it quick enough and sold it on. The buyer was a Mr Carl Racey owner of the Camp Car Company at Camp Hill, his business was car sales.

Mr Racey changed the name of his pitch to the King Kong Kar Ko and displayed King Kong sometimes dressed in different apparel as an advertising gimmick. After some time at this car sales pitch and another in Lady pool Rd, Sparkbrook. He was again sold on.

This time he was purchased by Spook Erections a company that ran markets in Scotland and was to spend the next 30 years standing in a market at Ingleston Edinburgh where he was used as a meeting point for people who got seperated, and sometime during his sojourn in Scotland he acquired a pink coat. When the market finally closed down in 2005 he was last seen being taken away on the back of a low loader lorry. Though lots of people enquired and there were even rumours of enquiries being made by Birmingham City Council. Nobody was able to find any trace of him. There were also even rumours that because he had been damaged beyond repair he had been melted down (is that possible).

So although I do not know how true this is, but I am glad to report that there have been rumours this year of him reappearing at a market in Penrith, Cumberland sporting a new white coat. He’s getting closer, perhaps he is returning to Birmingham.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mal 565

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »
Thanks Phil I wasn't 100%.

alanmillard

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
i loved the bull ring in the earlier part i lived in Balsal Heath till i was twelve went to rea st school and then on to Hope St till i left to live in South Yardley, i went past there not long ago on the bus and the place looks nothing like it used to be, i have lived in Barford st and   Conybere St till i was twelve i remember the Luxor Picture house and the Alambera Mosley i was also in the boys brigade forgot the Triangle in gooch St and i had lots of family round that erea any one else remember. alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 10:51:56 PM »
hi alan
            welcome to the forum you will find loads of members from b/heath   perhaps if you have a mind to you can tell us a bit more about your self perhaps you can name drop you never know who knows who  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

wiseman

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »
Hi Alan, welcome to the forum, does the name/s England or Englander ring any bells?

Regards,

Rob.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy