Author Topic: Bull Ring Photos  (Read 175516 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Bull Ring Photos
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
The back end of the Bull Ring sporting a view of the not often seen walkway over Smallbrook Ringway to New Street Station.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

johnbird

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
I don't remember seeing this excellent photo of the old market hall on here before. It shows it complete and intact with its roof still in place. Something I never saw in reality.

Phil
Fantastic picture!
Growing old is compulsory, Growing up is not!

berniew

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
Hi does anyone know who owned the waxworks and when it opened and closed
  Bernie

Spud

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2011, 03:11:36 PM »
Smashing pictures Phil .Think that I am right but was it Mazoni Gardens where we had that Giant King Kong statue
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
spud

if you go right back on this thread you can see some photos of King Kong and a little piece that I wrote on his history in Birmingham.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Marilyn Guy

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2011, 10:38:47 AM »
I'm so pleased to see the photo's of how the Bullring was in the 50's. We used to go up to town to get our turkey from the barrows on late on Christmas Eve to snap up a bargain! I loved to see the nativity outside the door of St. Martin's (I believe it was called).

Thank you for your quick reply to my inquiry Phil.
Marilyn Guy

0zresearcher

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2011, 03:18:53 AM »
we were fortunate enough to  stay in your lovely city for a week in 2009 and were very impressed with  it .The city and University and there is a large green area (park ) in the centre(unfortunately, can't remember name ) must be getting old), ;)  and beautiful old buildings. We viewed the Jewellery Quarter although obviously much changed from the time of my great grandparents living and working there and have to make mention of the friendliness of the people of Birmingham. One time we managed to get quite lost and got talking to a couple of people waiting for a bus they asked where we were from and we said Australia.We then asked directions back to our accomodation as we were a bit disorientated they not only told us how to get back but insisted on accompanying us (this was a good 10 minute walk from  the bus stop where we met them )and so obviously they missed their bus .we  thanked them for their kindness.and although didn't get their names we have always remembered the kindness shown to strangers. this kindness was repeated many time in the short time we were there from where to find attractions to where to eat. so thank you one and all.
ozresearcher

rosinae

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2011, 06:43:45 AM »
I look at those photos of the old bull ring and  my goodness me how it has changed from the Bull Ring I  know
I was about 7 and at weekends my sister and I would help my dad get his veg stall ready ....my dad was a bit of a character.... In the 50s  he had a barrow and he had a great way with words .. I can hear him now (come on ladies only a tanner a pound .his name was Benny Bond  BB to his friends  Oh they were to look back on I do find the Bull Ring rather drab now but that is only my opinion
I now live in Kent  but Birmingham I shall always call home ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2011, 07:52:13 PM »
Hi rosinae

I think if your dad was on the barrows in the Bull Ring in the 1950's he would have no difficulty in recognising these photos. I'm not old enough to remember what it was like before the bombing, but I have seen enough photos to recognise that the place couldn't have been as bad as what it was made out to be.

I saw what Herr Hitlers boys left us with and I have to admit that that perhaps Birmingham could have worked more with what we had left and included it in to any new design instead of clearing the site and starting from scratch.

Though I grew up with the 60's Bull Ring and learnt to love it, just like the youngsters today won't have a wrong word said about the new version we have now. I think thats how we felt in the 60's and I was sorry to see the old one go. It was like loosing an old friend.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andrew Stevens

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2012, 04:14:04 PM »
Re Stevens Bar - started, I believe, by my great grandfather William Stevens, a wine merchant.   After any family connection it closed for trading after permitted hours on 25th March 1958.  More information or photos would be gratefully received.

Paulina

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
 :D Thankyou Phil for the wonderful pictures.  I sometimes went to the Bullring on my lunch hour and we would buy crab for lunch.  Great times. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy