Author Topic: Bull Ring Photos  (Read 175488 times)

Spud

Re: Bull Ring Photos
« Reply #297 on: August 30, 2017, 04:45:58 PM »
I remember the winter of 1947 and Judith said the snow was so high walking along Percy Rd to school it was like walking through a tunnel.
The snow had drifted and the snow literally reached bedroom height. I was only about 6 at the time I thought it was great and could not wait for it snow like that again. I had to wait until December 30th 1961 for another Snowfall like that, the reason I remember the It was the day we got married !!!!
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Potomac

« Reply #298 on: August 30, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
In 1947 I was just nine years old.  No ploughs or cleared pavements where I lived due south of the city.  I trudged through the snow, often up to my arm pits to school.  I got there, there were no prizes, pats on the back etc. because you were expected to get there come what may.
No school closures or other mundane excuses for shutting the world down in those days even when there is a very slight dusting of snow.  The major problem seems to be that so many who rely on cars are unable to cope and drive in such conditions.
Living in an area where snow might fall, an inch or so, every ten years it is quite interesting how most things grind to a halt.
But, when we get the 'lake effect', which comes down the English Channel from the east and crosses Lyme Bay every twenty years or so then look out because a significant snowfall can be experienced.  Thank goodness for freezers and coal fires which provide sustenance and warmth.   ;D

best wishes,  Alan

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »

shes had a make over

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »
shes had a make over

You forgot to add the soap bubbles.....
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
The top end of the Bullring in 1965, I'm having a hard time remembering this police box at the iop of the ramp. I do remember that police officers would loiter there occasionally, but I have no memory of it. Well I don't think it could have been there long because it doesn't show on any of the other photos I have showing that particular area.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #302 on: January 15, 2019, 08:02:06 PM »
A great Aerial image of the Bullring centering on St Martins Church, which just has to be pre-war as there are no bomb sites.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #303 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »
A great Aerial image of the Bullring centering on St Martins Church, which just has to be pre-war as there are no bomb sites.
You are right, it is a great picture!  Shame to see so much change, but it's nice to be able to spot the odd building in Digbeth that is still there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #304 on: January 16, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »
Judith

Did you spot the old Bullring Cinema next to the Royal George in Park street looks like it's still open  information I have is that it closed as a cinema in 1931 so the photo might date from around that time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »
It sounds like it could date from back then couldn't it.  Would make sense, there's certainly a lack of traffic on the roads, so car ownership was still pretty low.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2019, 03:11:13 PM »
The Bull Ring Tavern, it looks like this was taken not long after it changed it's name from The Talbot. It would have still then had that great buffet bar upstairs where we used to take the girls from Woolworths for lunch when we wanted to impress them. Unfortunately that stopped when two of them got sacked for drinking in their lunch hour. I think it was done as a warning to the rest of them.

Years later a friend of mine was the owner of this pub, and although he was quite a hard man himself I think it got to be more than enough for him in his late sixties so he sold up and semi retired to his other pub in the countryside.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
That Fancy Silk Store is still there  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy