Author Topic: Bull Ring Photos  (Read 175489 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Bull Ring Photos
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2019, 11:49:46 AM »
The Bull Ring Wholesale Market on Jamaica Row, I had some good mates that worked here that would often go straight to work after a night (early morning) on the town.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2019, 01:20:52 PM »
Strange question, but did any buses actually go through the markets (as in inside them).  I have a memory of going into Town on the bus from Solihull when I was little and the bus going through the wholesale markets & my mother saying something about them being closed soon.  I could be mixing memories up, but I'm sure we were inside in that memory.  It kinda fascinated me all the activity.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
Judith

I have never heard of buses inside any of the market halls in Birmingham, to be quite honest I don't quite see why a bus would be inside the market or going through it. There certainly wouldn't be much room for one on a normal working day (see photo) . To be honest I can't ever remember buses running up either side of the wholesale market on Moat Lane or Jamaica Row so where would a bus gain access and what is more why? What year are we talking about Judith, because if I am honest I didn't really get into town much when it was being remodelled so could it have been during that time?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #333 on: March 14, 2019, 01:07:34 PM »
Judith

I have never heard of buses inside any of the market halls in Birmingham, to be quite honest I don't quite see why a bus would be inside the market or going through it. There certainly wouldn't be much room for one on a normal working day (see photo) . To be honest I can't ever remember buses running up either side of the wholesale market on Moat Lane or Jamaica Row so where would a bus gain access and what is more why? What year are we talking about Judith, because if I am honest I didn't really get into town much when it was being remodelled so could it have been during that time?
I know.  I can't think a bus would have been inside either. 

I think my mind has jumbled 2 memories - one of going past on a bus & another of being inside at some point.  As to the time it would have been very late '60's or possibly early '70's.  It would have been when I used to go to the children's eye clinic from when I was 4. The one bus we'd get used to go towards Town through Digbeth/Deritend & then go round the back of the markets before going to the bus station.  Later it didn't & I remember noticing when the route changed. 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »
Perhaps this pre war post card is a prime example why postcard producers and book compilers should get to know the city before they try to make money out of it. I wonder just how many people who received a copy of this postcard came to Birmingham expecting to find St Chads Cathedral in the Bull Ring.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #335 on: March 15, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »
Perhaps this pre war post card is a prime example why postcard producers and book compilers should get to know the city before they try to make money out of it. I wonder just how many people who received a copy of this postcard came to Birmingham expecting to find St Chads Cathedral in the Bull Ring.
  ;D

They still do similar now don't they.  There was an official Birmingham Council information booklet not so long ago (I forget what for now) that had the skyline of Birmingham Alabama on it.

Here we go - just did  a quick Google & found an article about it -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2551804/Birmingham-council-use-cityscape-of-Birmingham-Alabama-on-leaflet.html

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
Judith

I remember the case well, I think there were comments made on here at the time. Another case of an out of town publicity agency being used when Birmingham Council has it's own press and publicity office. The most annoying thing is it actually got into print and was distributed before anybody noticed. I bet they still paid the agency responsible.

The two photos below are what were released at the time the top one being an actual skyline of Birmingham UK and the bottom one is a copy of what was released.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #337 on: March 18, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
Judith

I remember the case well, I think there were comments made on here at the time. Another case of an out of town publicity agency being used when Birmingham Council has it's own press and publicity office. The most annoying thing is it actually got into print and was distributed before anybody noticed. I bet they still paid the agency responsible.

I think I have the booklet somewhere at home, I kept it because of the error  ;D

I know a lot of the office towers look similar, but you'd have thought someone was responsible for proof reading the document before it was passed for a print run - or maybe it was & they didn't notice either ::)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »
A clean and pristine looking Bull Ring which could only be not long after completion of the building works. It's obviously 10.a.m. on a Sunday morning, though if it is I would have thought that there would have been more activity around St Martins Church.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »
Nice one  :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
As this photo was taken on the last day of normal tram running in Birmingham, there is all the chance in the world that this tram is making it's way through the Bull Ring on it's way to Kyotts Lake Road depot in Sparkbrook and from there it would be scrapped,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy