Author Topic: Birmingham Central Library  (Read 6202 times)

nooneynoo

Birmingham Central Library
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:21:55 PM »
Hi all I was in Birmingham over the weekend for a short break and happened to pass the central library and for the first time took notice of it and realised what a nice building it really is, it seems to have mellowed over the years and since it has been enclosed at the bottom has become a much nicer place than it was in the 80s when the wind used to howl around the place. I think it is one of the very few buildings from the 70s that survive in Birmingham city centre, if I recall Prince charles once slagged this place off but this was before the ICC and Nia were built and broad street was improved i bet if he saw it now he may reconsider.
Now I may have fond memories of this place as I no longer live in brum but look up at it as you are passing through the atrium and give it a good look.

peter brummy

Re: Birmingham Central Library
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »
Hi nooneynoo, do you really think so? What do others think?

nooneynoo

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Hi peter
Yeah I know what they knocked down originally was a disgrace and what is there now does not compete with what went before, but do we want to make the same mistake twice. during the 70s and 80s this building was on the ars* end of town but now its a link between broad street and the rest of town if you see the amount of people that pass through it now its amazing as i said in the 80s you only entered this place to get a bus pass.as you can see from your second photo it coexisted with the origional library and for the life of me I can not see why they knocked that building down to replace it with what

peter brummy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:47 PM »
Hi nooneynoo, here's a few of the inside of the old library. I think it was the best looking one of the two with it's Victorian, ornate wedding cake style.

Also, here's a pic of what's to come in the future. This latest one isn't too bad for modern architecture. At least it makes an effort to blend in.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy