Author Topic: South Yardley Amateurs FC  (Read 7888 times)

KBG

South Yardley Amateurs FC
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
Smashing little team that played in the South Birmingham Sunday League 1959 - 65'ish. Any memories or knowledge. KBG

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: South Yardley Amateurs FC
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:10:31 PM »
Hi KBG

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help with any memories of the South Yardley Amateurs FC, but football is not my forte as I have said often on here. We do though have members that hail from that neck of the woods. We also have avid football fans. So hang on in there you never know what you might hear.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

KBG

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
Thanks for your hospitality - great site. My big brother Nick (Bromsgrove) sent me the link. I am spending hours here.

Kelvin

KBG

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 07:09:33 AM »
More details on this Team

We were managed by Albert Hill a fine bloke who looked after all of us really well. Players like Graham Lovett (WBA), Micky Cartwright (Coventry), Stu Masefield (Wolves) played for us. Other names (getting harder to remember now) were Alan Jones, Jeff Mayo, Les Sparks, Alan Wotton, Kenny Dixon, Alan Robinson, Ray South, Ray Taylor...all fine players and really good friends. Made the Villa Cup Final at Villa Park.

I remember playing at those park pitches like Wagon Lane where each Saturday and Sunday the pitches would be full with lots of Mums and dads watching. I still think that watching this level of football with all the Pub and Junior teams on display is a grand sight to behold. It reminds me of a simpler time. My childhood in Brum, living in a Prefab in Tile Cross, attending Sheldon Heath Comprehensive School is one of happiness and a simple life - brilliant memories of 'God's Country'.   

StephenR

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
I used to play for a team known as Yardley Amateurs in the 1970's. The manager was a nice chap named Ron Holland.

Spud

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:36:24 PM »
I remember South Yardley Amateurs only too well. We had formed a team of old school mates and called ourselves Springfield United this would be around 1958/9. The first team we played was South Yardley Amateurs. they played  us off the park [Wagon Lane] . Seem to remember playing them later in the season and lost 3-2 at Billesley Common we lost to a penalty and an own goal. Around the same time there was Amos Ath, Sheldon Heath Soc., and Cannon Hill Rovers.
Those parks pitches Wagon Lane Billesley etc  were something else. Remember Sennellys Park ? You needed climbing boots. I seem to remember that Sennellys was overlooked by some multi storey flats. Playing there one Sunday afternoon some bright spark in the flats took a pot shot at one of our players with a Air Rifle. Luckily our lad escaped serious injury the pellet hit his eyelid a half inch lower he could have lost an eye.
But overall they were grand days mud mud and more mud. Eleven blokes paying to play sharing a garden shed to change in. Bliss !
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

harris22

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »
Iplayed in this league at that time for a team called Marco, quite a few of the team also played for Sparkhill  Premier on a Saturday in the West Midland  Alliance , our ground was in Formans Rd next to the old Mirror Laundries. Our main rivals on a Sunday were the York from the York pub, run by a great character named Terry {cooky} Sealey

[

townie

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:11:58 PM »
I played for South Birmingham, if that's of any interest. We were a good side but I thought I could do better. so I joined a few premier teams one I think was called Moor Green but not sure long time ago. Then I got my chance at St Andrews I walked out on the pitch, not a game I must add, just being shown around the ground and thought this is not for me. I was young single and out on the town,probably out of control.I then moved to Tamworth played one game and it was training, training and more training. I thought I don't need this I can run to john O'Groats, all my mates were out on the town pulling birds and I was here. I have cut a long story short. Would I have done anything different, not in them days. I loved life.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

[email protected]

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
 Played for South Yardley between 1959 & 1963.Remember all the players you mention and they went to Sheldon heath school and stuart Masefield went to bierton road.Yoy forgot players from cockshut hill,martin lewis,harold(H)goodyear and Syd poyner.
     Great days and after final at Villa park I managed to play for J

Pedro42

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »
Many of the lads from Waverley Grammar's Villa cup winning side played for South Yardley Amateurs

The Waverley team comprised Ken Copson, Brian Worrall, David Ladbrooke, Geoff Roberts, Barry Ansell, Roger Simmonds, Terry Worton, Micky Ward, Peter Deathridge and Keith Rowbotham, and Dave Barnett

Pedro42

steve o

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
i also played for ron hollands yardley amateurs. We played sunday afternoons in the south birmingham league at windermere road.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy