Author Topic: Roller Skating Rink  (Read 147694 times)

roymondo

Re: Roller Skating Rink
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
Hi Les and Michael,small world and getting smaller all of the time,when the Brsc was crumbling in the mid sixties, Phil Holmes ,Pete Howe and myself skated for the newly formed Southern club which was a breakaway from the north london club, the club was run by Pat Barnet who was living with Duggie Reece from the Echoes (dustys band) they had just recorded a brilliant Lp with the ivor raymond orch and i had a complimentary from Duggie, pete howe who was another Leicester exile moved to London and I heard that he finished up as KIki Dee's road manager which would have been thanks to his Pat Barnet connections, phil and me used to stay over at  Pats place and I seem to remember that Pete stayed at dusty's along with Madelaine bell,  In the 80's Madelaine Bell had a beach bar called Bourbon street at Estepona in Spain and i went there on a regular basis but she was never there, i think that her partner at that time was someone from the James Last Orchestra.   Les,  i spoke with George Taylor a few days ago and he sends his regards, as for Freds idea of a photo, not a good idea as most of us do not resemble those youg fit guys of yesteryear, anyway always good to have contact with you guys,  Roy

john fuller

« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
hi les i mailed you a while back on the forum about the brixton skaters.as you said in one of your posts its a shame all the rinks are closing.you would not recognise the inside of the brixton rink now.i see you are a golfer is that why you are in spain? or just for the sunshine to warm the bones.where is ricky may now?he was a dark horse that one.although i live in hampshire now its nice to go on some of these sites to catch up on old times and bring back memories. cheers john

john fuller

« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »
hi raymondo.i have just read the post about pat barnett.i was at the brixton rink in the early sixties when she broke the world 1 hr record.she had six brixton skaters pacing her for most the the time.then they pealed off to let her finish on her own.so i think that would make her on a par with chloe. cheers joh fuller O0

frederick

« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
Hi John,
Welcome to the forum a thanks for posting.

Fred
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roymondo

« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
HI John, good to hear from you, interesting about Pat Barnet, she was Pat Tomasi when i knew her first and i think that Les mentioned that, the brixton records that you mentioned was a subject on here some time ago  and although i knew pat well and trained with her i never knew about her exploits at brixton and i thought that the person that mentioned it on here was mistaken so i stand corrected although I tend to judge the skaters on race performance rather than being paced for  records, Chloe Ronaldson and pat eason were the top female skaters when i was racing, Chloe was built like a russian shot putter and was very powerful whereas Pat Eason was the opposite she was a very stylish and classy skater just like her husband Leo. I always remember Pat Barnet and bobbie woodley were always right up there but there was not much to choose between any of them i must admit that i didn't study the ladies skating as much as i should have as my wife at the time was racing for Bham rsc, apologies if I've forgotten anyone else but it was a a few years ago, with regard to Ricky May i was invited to his 60th birthday party about two years ago but sadly i could not make it, as far as i know he's still doing ok, terrific skater as i remember, he was just unlucky to be around at the same time as woodley and eason !!

roymondo

« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
Att of Michael, I have managed to get hold of the dusty springfield photo as well as a southern club photo with pat barnet and duggie reece etc, the dusty springfield event was a two man rely and was won by the birmingham rsc with south london clubs 2nd and third, makes a change to see a rostrum without woodley on it !!! only joking Les, who i think had retired as the photo was taken in 1966, as soon as i figure out how to downsize the photos ,I'll put them on here for you ,so watch this space,

michael poole

« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »
Roymondo. Good new's  on the photo's look forward to seeing them, quite understand about downloading,(This modern technology)  Still we would'nt be able to be intouch, all these year's on.The last few posting have made good reading. Have many of you  Lads still got your skates, Had mine till we move'd home 11years ago (Wife threw them out) At the same time,Think abit to old to be getting on skates still the thought;;                  Les  Hello are you still out in the sun, if youare it has been hot here .   Michael                                                                                                           

roymondo

« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »
as promised, archive photos, skaters on the southern pic are back row, L2R; Pat feetham,unknown,stan jennings,phil holmes,.petehowe kieth boole .unknown.unknown,  roy lowe (roymondo) Duggie Reece,   front row ,Mary abbott,donna nash, Pat barnet , haven't a clue who the kids are.
2nd pic me with pat eason joint winners for brsc ,can't remember what the race was ,finally two man relay event at ally pally won by B'ham (Ricky May /Leo Eason, 2nd South london,brixton (ron hawkes/bill sharman) 3rd South london again, ted cooke/John foley, trophy presented by Dusty Springfield.

frederick

« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2011, 02:23:43 PM »
Roymundo,
Thanks for the photos, a power house of skating talent   O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roymondo

« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
Hi Michael Poole and Frederick,  I bumped into Phil Holmes who is a long standing friend and turned out to be one of the better skaters at the BRSC, he has read your thread that you posted some time ago when you were trying to recall a phil howell ,phil thinks that you might have meant him as apparently it was you who introduced him to the embassy rink all those years ago, he certainly remembers you and sends his regards, Phil also remembers frederick who aparently had a bad car accident which i think that was mentioned in one of the earlier threads.

michael poole

« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
Roymondo, photo's are amazing,So obviusly got the name wrong it is Phil holmes and not (phil howells) Still it's been a long time.Yes all those year's ago we were very good friend's 1957/8 Apart from the skating (those were the days) we went around quite alot,I think it was about 1959/60 went to Blackpool for the weekend with a crowd. Sorry we lost touch,Please say hello I would like to speak to him,may be on face book.         Again thank's for the Photo's,  Hope all you LADS are OK.  Michael or to mate's MICK.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy