Author Topic: Roller Skating Rink  (Read 147682 times)

Judy

Re: Roller Skating Rink
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »
My 'auntie' (Madge Morris) used to manage the Roller Rink.  I remember going there as a little girl with my Dad, probably in the early 1950's.  Not sure if it was The Embassy but that certainly rings a bell.  There was a central area to the rink plus a lane around the outside for beginners.

Judy

frederick

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »
gibson,
I am in both inthe firdt one i am in front of the tall lad in the white tee shirt the one out side i am 4th from the right on the second step.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

frederick

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »
gibson,
I am in both in the first one i am in front of the tall lad in the white tee shirt the one out side i am 4th from the right on the second step.

gibson

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 09:51:50 PM »
Frederick, thanks again for putting the photo's on, and pointing yourself out to me on the pics, my husband was good at skating, but never joined a team, but I could just about manage to get around the rink unaided, but they were happy days.

debbie

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »
hi does anyone no if john stokes was in the team cheers

sandrac

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
my sisters and i went to the roller rink on summer hill, Dad dropped us off and picked us up afterwards. round and round we'd go listening to the music wishing we could master the art of going backwards but never able to. we loved the white lace up boots, they were far superior to the skates we tied on over  our shoes. do you remember how strange it felt to walk just after taking the boots off
was there a book called white boots about a young girl who dreamed of becoming a skater

Jacqueline

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 04:54:39 PM »
Sandrac,
     Not sure of your age when you attended the rink but i was about 15 ish around 1970. Do you remember walking around the rink and passing the back of the stage with the boys and their hands? :o

peter brummy

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
It's a long time ago that I went rollerskating with my brother. One summer we went almost everyday for a few weeks.

You got your boots just to the right when you walked in and the DJ was centre of the arena over the far side. There was a cafe the other side of the arena opposite the Dj ....

I had to wear the girls white boots because I was so small .... Within no time I was whizzing around and had got myself a girlfriend who was a terrific little skater and wore all the gear .... I was only 8 at the time and she was 7 ....

Whistling Jack Smith .... Down Town, Petula Clark .... I'll Never Find Another You, World Of Our Own and The Carnival is Over, The Seekers .... The Stones, The Beatles, Cilla Black, Cliff Richard and The Shadows all spring to mind as the popular records that were playing at the time ....

frederick

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 09:58:08 AM »
Some more photos taken at the roller rink.

frederick

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »

frederick

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 10:00:58 AM »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy