Author Topic: Roller Skating Rink  (Read 147680 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Roller Skating Rink
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
hi fred what rink is that  i can not remember the roller rink at springhill only the ice rink
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 11:27:29 AM »
Roy,
It is Walford rd i thought i would put the other photos i had of the place on for the new comers and everyone else to have a look at they mite recognise some one  :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
hi fred well if there was a roller rink at springhill it must have been be for i could walk   ;D  the last time i went there was in the late 50s 59ish and I'm sure it was an icerink but I'm getting  old so might have it wrong  walford road the embassy was the only place that i can remember

gibson

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
Hi Frederick, thanks for the latest photo's of Walford Road, I couldnt pick you out on the latest pics, and didn't recognise anyone, could you please tell me what year the photographs were taken.

frederick

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »
gibson,
It would be 1959, to the right of centre the tall one with the track suit is Les Woodley he was the fastest roller skater in the world at that time, i am behind him with the striped jumper on.

Not on the next one.

On the third i am the forth one, the leader is Les Woodleys wife.

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

astrablue

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
hi does anyone no if john stokes was in the team cheers
   hi , i remember john stokes he used to go to springhill roller rink in the 60s
He sat in a barrel for a few days on a pole ont he roof for a charity, ;D
I am one
but im only one
cant do everything
but can do something
i do what i can do
and what i can do
i ought to do !

townie

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »
Hi. To all the people who remember the Springhill roller rink! I used to go there in the sixties and remember saturday and sunday afternoon sessions where half way through the DJ announced the speed section was about to start if you couldn't skate get off quick. The DJ always played the saber dance.
Also on some nightime sessions the red coats would roll out some barrels into the middle of the floor, for either the brave or foolish skaters to jump over. Thats when it was time to use the bar.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

sandrac

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 08:14:17 PM »
Roy ben
Springhill was definately a roller rink in the early 70's when i was 15
i know for definate cos i hate snow and ice and being cold so i wouldn't have gone if you paid me
what a lovely time we all had.It was the first venue 2 of my sisters and i were allowed to go to without an adult we knew being present, but Dad always dropped us off and picked us up bless him, always protective of his girls

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
hi sand
          i think the last time i went to springhill it was an ice rink that would be about 1958 may be iv got it wrong maybe it was an ice rink be for it was a roller rink it was such a long time ago and the mind plays tricks i remember buddy holly his hit it does not matter any more was playing at the time i got my new jeans on at the time fell on the ice when i go home could not get my jeans off they had shrunk   but the question is  was it an icerink be for a roller rink if so what year did it change

peter brummy

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:32 PM »
It would have to be after 1959 roy ben, because Buddy Holly died on February 3rd 1959 ....

The song was released posthumously after his death and it went to No.1 on April the 29th. It remained there for three weeks until the latter half of May, when it slipped down the charts ...?

Jacqueline

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 11:47:31 PM »
Now i am confused....does not take much. ;D

Are we talking about springhill or summerfield? I am not aware of another roller rink in the 70's than the one on summerfield [or was it summer lane]. There might have been one in springhill earlier but i do think we are mixing two places. :o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy