Author Topic: Roller Skating Rink  (Read 147676 times)

cocacolakid

Re: Roller Skating Rink
« Reply #495 on: August 29, 2016, 10:31:51 PM »
Think they were like hard rubber, The ones you got when you hired skates.

townie..

Thanks for reply.  Seems the two rinks had opposite ideas. The hired skates at the Embassy had wooden wheels, the type banned at Summer Hill.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

planetmalc

« Reply #496 on: September 02, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »
townie..

I never went to the roller rink at Summer Hill, but if it had a wooden floor like the Embassy, I wonder why they didn't let you use wooden wheel skates. What type did you have to use??   

Malc.

It was probably to keep the noise down   -   the Summer Hill rink was very music-orientated.      In its latter days, they even resorted to discouraging people from buying the standard brown-coloured hard-rubber wheels in favour of red-wheeled sets which were even quieter (but didn't roll as well).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

cocacolakid

« Reply #497 on: September 02, 2016, 10:22:01 PM »

It was probably to keep the noise down   -   the Summer Hill rink was very music-orientated.      In its latter days, they even resorted to discouraging people from buying the standard brown-coloured hard-rubber wheels in favour of red-wheeled sets which were even quieter (but didn't roll as well).

planetmalc...

Well, you live and learn.  I would never have guessed that.  Thanks for the info, Malc.

Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

frederick

« Reply #498 on: September 03, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
I thought the same        ???       I could understand it if they band steel wheels. But never heard of it being to noisy.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

townie

« Reply #499 on: September 03, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
I think it was something to do with wood on wood scratching the floor. When I skated I never used the brake at the front I always used the wheels to brake. Perhaps that was the reason.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #500 on: October 09, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »
I came across this recently, although it might be a little early in 1949 thought that some of our old skaters that used the embassy might be on here or perhaps might recognise someone.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

keith plumbe

« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
I used to be a regular at the roller rink in the late 60's when Les Ross was there and it was the Mecca.

freddiesmith

« Reply #502 on: June 07, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
I've only recently discovered this thread after going through some old photographs of my dad's (Freddie Smith).  A lot of the names mentioned in this thread are familiar to me after hearing his fond memories of the roller skating days - Norman Eccles, Les Woodley, Ricky May etc.  The posts in here are brilliant and paint a great picture of the times you all had during the 1960s.   He'd have loved to have read through these if I had found it earlier![/size]

townie

« Reply #503 on: June 07, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »
Hi Fred and Welcome to the forum, sorry for your loss but at least your father was there and enjoyed it  O0
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Pete1951

« Reply #504 on: September 03, 2023, 01:12:38 AM »
Hi, summer hill roller rink was a Friday night must for a gang of us from work F W Thorpes in 1969, a bloke called doc was the manager,  there would be a figure of eight  contest for money prizes,  you had to bump others over at the crossing of the 8. At times we would drop the heads off matches on to the ring and they would bang as the wooden wheels went over them. I was crapp at skating  at first to be honest but it was a great night out, if paradise was half as nice, was the no one and everyone would belt around the rink when it was played,  when I hear that song on the radio it always takes me back to Friday's at the rink, one of our gang upset one of the bouncers once and the word went around the rink in a flash and everyone stopped skating, there was a bit of a scuffle between a few of us but we knew we were in trouble so we were sneaked out the side door into a builders van to escape, funny now but not then. Great times.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy