Author Topic: Birmingham schools choir  (Read 668 times)

Graham

Birmingham schools choir
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »
Anyone that was in the Birmingham schools choir at the end of the 50's? We had to sing Hiawatha at the Brum Town Hall.

babs

Re: Birmingham schools choir
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
oh god what memories  i remember belting it out with the rest sometimes i would forget to tell my parents i had rehearsal or what   and they used to go beserk trying to find me

florence kate

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:26:03 PM »
not sure that I remember Hiawatha, but I do remember the series of Youth Concerts that the CBSO did each year in the late 50s, playing carefully chosen music especially for the young.  I think there were about five or six Friday concerts each year.

Florence Kate

Graham

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 08:30:15 PM »
Babs sorry for not replying, and Florence thanks for joining in and jogging my memory. I had started this thread in January of this year but since then, in April, had more major heart surgery, then spent most of the Summer recovering and my mind is a blank on some things. They say it is from the anaesthetics.

Against all my wishes I was singled out to sing in this choir, just because I could sing! Now there were, and still are, many things that I am good at but don't like to do, singing I HATED. We were dragged to some other school (forgotten the name), about three times a week to rehearse, missed god knows how many school lessons through this all. Anyway, to keep it short, after this concert at Brum Town Hall I never sang another note in public and to this day still HATE to sing.

I started this thread mainly to find some of my old friends, that were also in the choir, but any postings from anyone that remembers this choir are of course welcome.