Author Topic: Birmingham schools choir  (Read 1192 times)

Graham

Birmingham schools choir
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »
Anyone that was in the Birmingham schools choir at the end of the 50's? We had to sing Hiawatha at the Brum Town Hall.

babs

Re: Birmingham schools choir
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
oh god what memories  i remember belting it out with the rest sometimes i would forget to tell my parents i had rehearsal or what   and they used to go beserk trying to find me

florence kate

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:26:03 PM »
not sure that I remember Hiawatha, but I do remember the series of Youth Concerts that the CBSO did each year in the late 50s, playing carefully chosen music especially for the young.  I think there were about five or six Friday concerts each year.

Florence Kate

Graham

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 08:30:15 PM »
Babs sorry for not replying, and Florence thanks for joining in and jogging my memory. I had started this thread in January of this year but since then, in April, had more major heart surgery, then spent most of the Summer recovering and my mind is a blank on some things. They say it is from the anaesthetics.

Against all my wishes I was singled out to sing in this choir, just because I could sing! Now there were, and still are, many things that I am good at but don't like to do, singing I HATED. We were dragged to some other school (forgotten the name), about three times a week to rehearse, missed god knows how many school lessons through this all. Anyway, to keep it short, after this concert at Brum Town Hall I never sang another note in public and to this day still HATE to sing.

I started this thread mainly to find some of my old friends, that were also in the choir, but any postings from anyone that remembers this choir are of course welcome.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy