Author Topic: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?  (Read 538 times)

Scipio

Re: Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike?
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 08:36:28 PM »
Can we just remember that this thread is about "Birmingham as it is now, what do you like or dislike".  Yes whilst Birmingham's salvage department is a valid point, I think it has pretty well been covered now and as we don't want the thread to turn into a thread on that topic alone it would be best if we now moved on.

To be honest I like none of it , members remember like you I was a mod in the 60's and could not keep away from the city centre, alas
those long far off  younger days have gone . Looking at brum the way it is today, not for me thanks, last time I was there it was claustrophobic , beggars on corners near New St station , that really niggles me there are that departments now for peoples welfare how can people still be sitting on the floor begging . There was nothing like this help in the 60's and people were not openly begging
apart from the Hari Krishna conglomerate . None of present day Birmingham attracts me like days gone by, the architecture is naff ,where has all the artistic buildings , like the Victoriana as was gone .

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 09:07:06 PM »
Scipio

Most of the things that you outline are universal and not endemic to Birmingham. We have always had dissidents and layabouts (I was one of them at one time). Although I agree very strongly about the modern day naff architecture, but this also is not restricted to Birmingham is it?
Make Love Not War

Scipio

« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 10:30:41 PM »
Scipio

Most of the things that you outline are universal and not endemic to Birmingham. We have always had dissidents and layabouts (I was one of them at one time). Although I agree very strongly about the modern day naff architecture, but this also is not restricted to Birmingham is it?

Yes I agree but after all Phil Birmingham is the subject , one other point Phil I'm sure with the intelligence you display on here you were not sitting on the corner with your hand out , expecting someone else to help you out

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 10:53:04 PM »

hi phil
               I was thinking about what you said and the photo that you put up about my neck of the woods has you put it  my neck of the woods and Birmingham they are two different world they have bins like Birmingham but the shop keepers take pride in the high street and so do the folk that live in this neck of the woods and yes you will find litter in the park by the river but its not put there by the folk that live hear its left by the visitors who mostly come from Birmingham   I have not seen any beggars on the high street in Stourport come to think of it iv not seen any ruff sleepers yes you will find them in kiddy I go there a lot for shopping and banking

but to bring it back on to the topic most of the main rout in to Birmingham are a disgrace and the closer you get to the city the more it stands out that's what I dislike about my birth place   I can live with the new building in town the old building will not last forever  they all will be changed one day  not in my life time but perhaps my grand kids life time but its still a grate place and im happy to tell any one  I come from brum
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 11:31:00 PM »
Were you a layabout then Phil