Author Topic: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street  (Read 87441 times)

FRH

Re: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2015, 04:26:16 PM »
Hi Phil,
Checked with Phil my younger brother and he only remembers it as a shop as well. I did wonder if it was empty as it's not listed in Kellys but it seems strange it is listed again as a shop / commercial property in the 1961 list. I suppose this will have to remain as one of those Balsall Heath mysteries.

Thanks f or your help anyway.

Regards
Fred

FRH

« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2015, 12:14:14 PM »
Hi Phil, Found this on another site. Just to the right of this is where we used to live @2/199 Gooch Street

Laura Hunt

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
Could anyone explain the address: 8 Court Benacre St?

Were there 'courts' of houses, rather than individually named ones?

The pictures are great -thanks.

S

john2000

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
Could anyone explain the address: 8 Court Benacre St?

Were there 'courts' of houses, rather than individually named ones?

The pictures are great -thanks.

S
This goes back to the time when the postman/woman knew everyone who lived in the area, (IE), 7/34. that would be the number of the house "behind" house number 34, and most times there where not a lot but depending where you lived, you could have just two houses ( like my aunt) or you could have 10 or 12 houses. the numbering of the houses with A.B.C, didn't come out till later till the flats started to arrive. ,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
H Laura

Welcome to the forum, most inner city roads had back court or back terraces. Which were houses that ran off the main street, sometimes accessed by narrow covered enteries, sometimes the access was wider. As a rule the back courts were given names but sometimes the were given numbers. Mostly thet were referred to as a court number depending on how many there were and the house number of the street fronting house. Hence number 8 house behind street number 140 became 8/140.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

strange-tales

« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »
Hi Janey, I went to Hope Street same time as you, Mr Burgess was the art teacher he played guitar, Mback to backst Green was deputy head, do you remember Mr Wilson, I started in class 1/1 then 22a, 32a finally 42a. Do you remember me Bari Aziz, I lived at 1/42 Longmore Street it was one of the back to backs.We used to call Mr Drayton Hitler, we also had Mr Evans as our woodwork teacher and Mr Morris too.Mrs Houghton was our teacher in second year, bet you can't recall Mr Dorricot he was our form teacher in tthe fourth year. Mr Green was deputy head and he later became a city councillor, I met him a few times after I left school as I became a senior offficer of the city council. I can remember a lot of my old class mates.
Re: Mr Dorricott - Fascinated to see my husband's name mentioned here.  We met at this school.  I taught the Pakistani children at Hope Street School and later married Mr Dorricott when he went to Leicester University.  :)

smith

« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
Hi, my bame is Carol Lloyd(nee smith) I lived at 7/72 Benacre street. I was born in 1948. My sister Barbara went to St Thomas school. Barbara was born in 1939. I remember the corner shop and Alma terrace. People I remember are Susan Steele and Carol Fletcher. Does anyone remember me?

Alison

« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2017, 12:45:47 AM »
Hello I'm new to this forum I was born at 54 belgrave road in 1962 the house was demolished about 3 years later we were moved to alum rock
I'd love to know which part of belgrave road number 54 was be even better if anyone has any photos. I remember living there but moved when I was about 3 or 4

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2017, 11:16:27 AM »
Hi Alison

Welcome to the forum, I have answered your question here as it seemed a more apt thread,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4284.msg559562#msg559562
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peejay

« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
i know its been a long time ago irishbrummie 2011 to be precise but i wanted to get in touch with your aunt margie but it was a bad time for me then,and perhaps things have changed for you and margie not for the worst i hope,if you still use birmingham fourm i would be glad to hear from you.

peejay

« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
left a post for irishbrumie from peejay.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy