Author Topic: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street  (Read 87437 times)

john2000

Re: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 11:53:31 PM »
i also lived in balsall heath and i also went to rea street and hope street schools and i remember benacre street as well i only lived round the corner in barford street next to the barber shop no 226 i  then moved to conybere street no 115 for about 18months and i loved every minute that i spent there and i also went in the corner shop  many many times, but sorry i do not remember the teachers other than mr green and a mr barnard for woodwork and a mr Bowen i left in 1952 when i was 12 and moved away from thr erea my name is alan millard

I used to live with my aunt in Conybere St, next door to Mrs Mortons, she had a daughter called Margret, (she was a big girl).. and her son Tony ( a lot of you would know him as Carlos in Crossroads)..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

janey

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »
Well I knew that *Carlos* from Crossroads lived in a block of flats, one of the new ones,new to us,it was in Angelina St a tower block, I am talking 60s, but I didn't know he lived there with his family, as a child, so I guess his mom was rehoused to the new flats

john2000

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »
Well I knew that *Carlos* from Crossroads lived in a block of flats, one of the new ones,new to us,it was in Angelina St a tower block, I am talking 60s, but I didn't know he lived there with his family, as a child, so I guess his mom was rehoused to the new flats

Mrs Morton owned a small shop on the left hand side of the road as you came down Conybere St, there where three shops in that area, ..as you come down the street you have the church on the right, and across the road ( sill on that side ) was a guy with glasses, he was ok, he had the corner shop, but on the left was Wests ( I think that was the name of the woman who had it), they too had a small shop, and sold news papers, then a little way down was Mortons shop on the left, next to them was the Parker family, and then my Aunt, and on the other side was the Kent family, they had a son, who had a big mouth, and I always wanted to slap him one, ( he was'nt a nice guy,) but I was told never to hit him because he had a bad heart..but many a time it was close, J2

janey

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »
I think maybe some of the people had moved on, I remember a shop on the corner of Conybere and Dymoke St, Smiths a little further down, on the same side coming from Mosley Rd on the right  nearly at William Edward St, Lockleys, which became another Smiths, and then it became Choudry's, and then a cafe.I know there were other shops up Conybere St but don't remember all the names, did you know the McAvoys down near William Edward St, in Conybere St, or the McAndrews on Moseley Rd,

john2000

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »
I lived in Conybere St in the early 50's, by the time I was 20, I had moved back to Cox St West, and other beauty spots of Brum..J2

alanmillard

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »

Remember it, we almost lived in it, with Mr Bowen, and we are jumping up and down over some long benches, and the hammerd glass in the two swing doors as you came in, remember the star pub, I almost married the daughter from there, ( almost is a wonderfull word,ha),
And its funny, but my mothers family came from Sherlock St to Benacre St nr 52 but that was long before we came along..ha...J2
I can tell you that mr green was quite good with the cane i think i can still feel my fingers tingling my cousins also went to hope street school they were the souths did any one know them

john2000

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »
I can tell you that mr green was quite good with the cane i think i can still feel my fingers tingling my cousins also went to hope street school they were the souths did any one know them

I remember a Irene South, but she lived up across the road from the Arms houses in Conybere St,

alanmillard

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »

I remember a Irene South, but she lived up across the road from the Arms houses in Conybere St,
are you sure it was irene and not iris and her sister margaret you have the right place but i think the wrong name do you know where they are now as i would like to catch up with them as i have lost touch. alan

john2000

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 11:05:18 PM »
are you sure it was irene and not iris and her sister margaret you have the right place but i think the wrong name do you know where they are now as i would like to catch up with them as i have lost touch. alan

Could have been Iris, ( a lot of water has gone under the bridge since the last time I spoke to her,) and as where she is now,? I have'nt a clue, ..J2

janey

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »
Do any of you remember the Callaghan's, corner of Angelina St Dymoke St, the Pratt's Conybere St

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
Hi Janey

Was it this corner?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy