Author Topic: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street  (Read 87457 times)

Peter Mcilvogue

Re: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2018, 11:15:45 AM »
Hi there, I attended Hope st school from 1960 to 1963 & I lived in Belgrave rd next to Dares brewery and before that I lived in Charles Henry st, the Headmaster at the time was Mr Green. Does anyone else remember........... thank's  Peter mac

Mrsperfect

« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
Talking of teeth.........

I'm guessing it's the 'school' dentist in Benacre St you're talking about? I still remember to this day how much I dreaded going there. I once saw a small girl with a large white men's handkerchief covered in blood. I used to have nightmares when I knew I had to go there! I have never forgotten the street name![/size]

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »
Hi Mrsperfect,

What years were you talking about because back in my school days 1952 - 1962 the school clinic with the dentist department was at Sherbourne Road. I only ever went there once and that finished me for life with dentist.

Welcome to the forum
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mrsperfect

« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2018, 01:37:25 AM »
Hi Phil

I just realised I posted on the wrong thread, you weren't talking about teeth at all!

I was born in 1952, so I guess school dentists for me would be about 1957 on. I just googled Sherbourne Rd and it's in the opposite direction to Benacre St, (I lived in Hertford Street, Balsall Heath) then. Are you sure about your dates as I distinctively remember the name Benacre.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
Hello again Mrsperfect,

I don't doubt that you received dental treatment at Benacre Street, it's just that no one has mentioned a school clinic at Benacre Street before, whilst many including myself remember receiving dental treatment at Sherbourne Road School.

I remember Hertford Street very well originally from attending Clifton Road School once a week for 5 years for woodwork classed when attending Dennis Road School. Later in life I used the Crown public house on the corner of St Pauls Road quite frequently though I was never a regular there.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Mrsperfect

« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
Hello again Mrsperfect,

I don't doubt that you received dental treatment at Benacre Street, it's just that no one has mentioned a school clinic at Benacre Street before, whilst many including myself remember receiving dental treatment at Sherbourne Road School.

I remember Hertford Street very well originally from attending Clifton Road School once a week for 5 years for woodwork classed when attending Dennis Road School. Later in life I used the Crown public house on the corner of St Pauls Road quite frequently though I was never a regular there.

Would you believe I was born about 5 or 6 houses away from the Crown, (same side) at 43 Hertford St? I have never been inside it as my family moved to Moseley Village when I was eight. I used to catch the bus to school which went down towards Edgbaston Cricket Ground (No.1A?).

When I was 18/19 yrs old I went  to Torquay, (for the season) and stayed for about three/four years in Devon and Somerset. When I came back to Moseley I met my future husband, (Australian). We got married and migrated to Sydney. Although I have been back many times, I have few memories. The city changed so much too.

Many years ago I went to see where I was born one evening as it was getting dark. My husband shone the car headlights on the house and all I saw was a pile of rubble that was the house I was born in........very sad! :(

Another year I revisited it and there were all new houses built. The place looked much better than I remembered from the previous visit, plus Pickwick Park! Who would have guessed that all those houses in St Paul's Rd would be turned into a park! I used to play on a bomb site......I would have LOVED a park!

My Aunt Celia used to live at the bottom of St Paul's Rd and when I was about 16 yrs I worked at the dry cleaners on Ladypool Rd on Saturdays, (I can't remember the name but it was close to St Paul's Rd but on the opposite side) the woman was a bit cranky to the customers but lovely to me. I was saving up for a trip to the USA and also babysat at night too. I got to go to the states with my savings from the Britannic Assurance and my two part time jobs.

I used to buy a cottage loaf, (the round loaf with the bun on top) from Trippas' Bakery on the corner of St Paul's Rd and Ladypool Rd and run over to her house and we'd have hot bread and melting butter on it! That was the best bread I have ever eaten!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »
Mrsperfect

As this conversation has now wandered off topic I will start a new thread concerning Hertford Street and it's surroundings where you are welcome to make any further comments or observations.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

franbailie

« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos of Benacre Street.  I lived in Gooch Street, just a few doors down on the right of Turner's Newsagents in one of the photos (Benacre St 1965 2).  I remember that Turner's used to sell model aeroplanes and would display built ones in his shop window.  I build an Airfix Coldstream Guardsman once and he displayed that for me!
I've been trying to remember all the shops (in 1958) which were between the house I lived in (1/147 Gooch Street which was a back house behind the café) opposite Bishop Street. On my right, walking towards Benacre St, was a TV repair shop; a café, a shop I can't remember, then a clothes shop, another I can't remember and then the Co-op.  I think there were then a couple of houses and completing the route was Turner's at the end of the road.
With regard to Hope Street; I had a close mate who had the unfortunate name of Robert Darling.  We lost touch when Hope St was demolished but I was very surprised to meet up with him again a few years later when he joined the Royal Marines.  I had joined the year before and we met in Portsmouth!
cheers
Mike

franbailie

« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »

[/qut
I lived the back of 151, Gooch Street I remember the Costellos, Mcquires, Foresters, Colies, Mrs White, who still wore victorian clothing. We were poor families, but happy. Lots of memories of my time living in the back to backs.

JuliaC

« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
Hi, I hope no one objects to me resurrecting an old thread.  :)

193 Gooch Street was the home of my late grandfather Dante Giansante. 
He was a well-known hairdresser in his day and had his salon on Gooch Street in the 1950's I believe, and then one on Paradise Street, and also Hall Green/Shirley in later years.
My Grandad was married to my late Nan Marie Giansante (nee Sartori), they divorced some time in the early 1980's around the time I was born. 
Grandad passed away in 1992 and my Nan in 2011. 
I know it was a long time ago but if anyone remembers the salon and has any photos of it then it would make my day, I have been searching online for one for a few years now with no success, and would love to see one as it was my Mum's first home. 

I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place, and it would be lovely to hear from anyone who might have photos!

Thank you
Julia

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
Hi Julia

Welcome to the forum, I think we have spoken before about your grandfathers shop in Gooch Street and I'm afraid I can offer no more help now than I did then. You mention his shop on Paradise Street I remember working there with my father when he did the plumbing at the new premises on the 1st floor of Trafalgar House. I think my father or his partner must have knew your grandfather. I have a photo of the whole building but not of the shop. I think the part that included your grandfathers shop was taken over by Snobs nightclub later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy